Old 19-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Andrew G

Default Rose Problem

Hi everyone.

At work our ground cover roses have developed a problem.

About 4 weeks ago we noticed some slight discolouration in the foliage, and
some of it was concentrated in patches.
We fertilised them with a liquid feed. It didn't make any difference.
2 weeks ago there were totally dead patches forming in some of the roses.
Best was to describe it would imagine if the branch had been snapped off
toward the base, and that whole branch died.

The dead leaves showed no signs of insect damage or fungal probs. Other
"good" leaves are ok, but about a week ago we noticed thrips. Treated them
for that, and also treated them for some very slight black spot.

Today we noticed another one with discolouring patch. There are probably
others that have developed it in the past week, but there are so many, and
this particular one we noticed cos we always walk past it.

All up there is probably about 80 roses. Not all of them have the problem,
just most. I know of a couple of perfectly good ones, amongst the others.

Moisture seems ok, if anything possibly a little too dry, but that doesn't
explain just dead patches.
They have been established for about 2 or 3 years, and it's the first time
it's happened. Another way to describe it, is if someone had sprayed just
small patches with a contact only herbicide.

Anyone with any ideas, or have seen this problem before?

My only guess is that some of the branches that are perhaps laying on the
ground have been covered with some fallen leaves and flowers from the rose,
then the matter has rotted down on the branch and killed it. Kinda like
putting mulch around a tree hard up against the trunk can kill it.

Thanks for any help

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 21-02-2003, 04:16 AM
alwynne mackie

When roses are accidentally hit with Zero or Roundup, they usually show the
effects in the parts less affected, by turning the leaves a little stumpy
and curled. If there had been spot spraying of a herbicide you would expect
to find this on the branches adjacent to the ones dying back.
It could be a soil fungus such as armillaria, which affects any root coming
into contact with the fungus in the soil (usually on old affected roots of
trees, shrubs or other plants long since dead). This would account for the
partial die back. Have you noticed any toadstools growing in tight clusters,
and sandy in colour? They are seasonal, according to area - basically
whenever the mushroom season is for you.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Alwynne

Old 22-02-2003, 03:07 AM
Andrew G

"alwynne mackie" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the advice.
We haven't done any spot spraying recently so I can count that out.
Just yesterday on the actual golf course(fairways and such)
mushrooms/toadstools have popped up overnight, but there weren't any in the
garden, so I guess I can count that out too. Also, these roses were put
there from the day the garden was built, so no other plants were there
before, except for natural bush. Not sure where the soil for the garden was
imported from though.

On Thursday we gave all the roses a prune over, in the hope to encourage new
growth and allow airflow through them.
One thing we are sure of, is that ALL of the dead bits were from branches
that had layered themselves in the soil. Not one dead bit was from the main
trunk and had grown up. ie, all deadbits had touched the soil. So possibly
it was the theory that leaves and petals had fallen on them, causing rot. Or
as someone else at work mentioned, the layered bits put out roots (only
shallow), and they failed to get any water. In the garden overall the first
2 or 3 inches of mulch and soil did not hold any moisture, but deep down it
had moisture.

So now only time will tell, see what happens now.

Thanks very much for the advice. I've kept your reply for future reference.

Bye now

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

A Buxus Problem, and a Pelargonium problem :-( ZoeM United Kingdom 11 18-07-2008 10:08 AM
Identity Problem (with rose). Rogerx Roses 6 14-08-2004 02:41 AM
new rose problem [email protected] Roses 0 24-05-2003 03:56 AM
Rose Problem Andrew G Australia 2 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Black Red Rose problem Robert S. Martin Roses 7 10-02-2003 01:25 AM