Old 24-02-2003, 10:49 AM
Jim

Default Crickets

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to kill crickets in the lawn.

I have a few near a bedroom window driving me crazy.

Any serious answers welcome. :0)

Thanks,
Jim.

Old 25-02-2003, 07:43 AM
Sue

Hi Jim,

You can buy cricket baits in the supermarket, we have been having a
major problem with the little devils lately. At night they where running up
and down the walls outside literally in their hundreds. The baits seem to
work if you are not inundated.
We don't like having to use chemicals but they where in the roof as well,
so we ended up placing a couple of those bombs up there and there is a lot
less now. We also tried to make sure that we cleaned up the dead bodies
because the mudlark that lives here was going to feed on them and I didn't
want him to be poisoned.

Good Luck

We will be watching the answers coming in since there are still a couple
insisting on getting behind the air in our bedroom and they are driving my
husband mad at night!!

Sue Karratha.

Old 27-02-2003, 01:22 AM
Graley

You might try sprinkling a little chilli powder around. It might scare
them away but will not kill them. Powder will also scare aware unwanted
feral cats when they lick their feet.

It's a long shot. Available in most big supermarkets, and if it does not
work you can always make a great meat loaf.

Graley

Old 27-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Jim" wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to kill crickets in the lawn.

I have a few near a bedroom window driving me crazy.

Any serious answers welcome. :0)

1. Close the window.

2. Get a chook.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

The most consistent empirical proof from history is the doctrine of human
depravity. -- Chuck Colson
Old 10-03-2003, 08:21 PM
Pete 'n' Trish

What do crickets do apart from make a chiry wee noise. Do they bite like
most other greatures? Obviously not an ozzie! Our crickets are wee 1/2 in
black things , in ole n.z. I thought that the crickets over here were frogs
judging by there noise. I have some that seem to live in the skylights do
they eats walls or anything? trish in Sydney

Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Trish Brown

Pete 'n' Trish wrote:

What do crickets do apart from make a chiry wee noise. Do they bite like
most other greatures? Obviously not an ozzie! Our crickets are wee 1/2 in
black things , in ole n.z. I thought that the crickets over here were frogs
judging by there noise. I have some that seem to live in the skylights do
they eats walls or anything? trish in Sydney

G'day, Trish! Small world, eh?

Of *course* crickets can bite! Just take a look at their mouthparts! And
so can grasshoppers! Being members of the family Orthoptera, they have
very large chewing maxillae, or jaws, and pretty clever auxiliary
mouthparts for manipulating food *into* said jaws. They live on grass
and vegetation (ie roots and leaves). Most often, crickets and g'hoppers
*won't* bite, but I have been bitten by a large green locust and it
*hurt*!

The most annoying thing about crickets is that if one gets inside, it
will call for help incessantly while you're trying to get some sleep!
(Well, that's been the case in my experience, anyway!)

HTH,
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 11-03-2003, 11:51 PM
Sue

Its interesting that you say that crickets eat vegetation and roots etc.
(which is what I had thought). We have an absolute plague of the little
devils up here in Karratha WA at the moment and yet none of my garden seems
to be under attack. The only attack they seem to be launching on us is the
noise when one gets between the walls in the night!!

Old 12-03-2003, 10:00 PM
John Savage

" Pete 'n' Trish" writes:
What do crickets do apart from make a chiry wee noise.

They practise slow-motion tai chi on the ceiling.

I have some that seem to live in the skylights do
they eats walls or anything? trish in Sydney

They don't normally eat houses. Are you sure you're not hearing a
smoke detector with a dying battery???

And speaking of cricket, did you see that catch by ... (aagh, forget it.)
--
John Savage (newsgroup email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Crickets in grass Michael W Australia 9 27-02-2005 09:03 AM
Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge Heidi Gardening 25 25-08-2003 05:22 AM
1000's of Camel crickets Scott Downey Lawns 2 21-06-2003 06:32 PM
Toad song begins...crickets on speed Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 7 06-04-2003 10:20 AM
Crickets Jim Australia 6 05-04-2003 07:37 AM