Old 02-03-2003, 06:34 AM
Teddy

Default Mossies in water feature

Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

Old 02-03-2003, 07:10 AM
Mike Buckler

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:34:07 GMT, "Teddy"
wrote:

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Fish.

If there are no plants or animals to worry about, then add salt.

Old 02-03-2003, 08:17 AM
Stephen Oakes

"Teddy" wrote in message
Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Fish!

A few goldfish (or small fish such as white clouds) will eat the baby
mossies.
--
Stephen Oakes

Old 02-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Andrew G

"Teddy" wrote in message
Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

As Mike said, I'd be going for salt. Add and mix it 'till they die. Only
problem is that as the water evaporates you will be left with salt crystals.
Oh, and be careful or avoid it if you are running a pump, it could rust.
Could also try chlorine.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 02-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Hairy Plotter

A splash of laundry bleach.
Add a bit, see if they die.
If not, add some more.
I use about a cap full in about 3 lts dog water bowl.
( I dont add enough till the dogs die !!)

H.P.

Old 02-03-2003, 12:35 PM
Just a little bit

On Sun, 02 Mar 2003 05:34:07 GMT, "Teddy" wrote:

Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Bugger salt as others have suggested, add fish.

Old 03-03-2003, 09:54 AM
Willow

Hiya Hairy

I don't have a problem with mozzies in the dog's water bowl, but I can't
seem to keep the algae at bay. Do you have any suggestions?

--
Wanda
aka Willow

~~faeries are able to fly because they take themselves lightly~

Old 04-03-2003, 08:21 AM
Andrew G

"Willow" wrote in message
Hiya Hairy

I don't have a problem with mozzies in the dog's water bowl, but I can't
seem to keep the algae at bay. Do you have any suggestions?

--
Wanda
aka Willow

Do you use tap water? I think that has less chance of algae growing in it.
Also, try keep it out of the sun, that should help.

Other than that, I'm not too sure, unless you buy another one, and alternate
the use of bowls from day to day, allowing the unused one to sit in the sun
empty.

Good luck

Old 04-03-2003, 12:27 PM
Willow

Yes & yes. It's in a spot where it may receive a little filtered sun in the
morning & I only ever use tap water.

Old 05-03-2003, 01:51 PM
Tom Elliott

wrote:

Hello All

I have just built a small water feature based in a 1m diameter pond. Works
fine and is very pretty but it has rapidly become a breeding ground for
mosquitos. Is there anything I can put in the water which will kill the
mossies?

Thanks

Ted

A good half inch layer of crank case oil will fix that right up.

But seriously, there are some native fish about (I will see if I can
find the breed) which are practically invisible, and do a wonderful
job of keeping the larvae at bay. They are hard to see, so you don't
need to worry about cats getting at them.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.
Old 07-03-2003, 12:34 AM
John Savage

"stolie" stolie666 @hotmail.com writes:
white clouds got rid of all mine in a day......

So what are the fish going to live on after that??
--
John Savage (for email, replace "ks" with "k" and delete "n")

Old 07-03-2003, 02:59 AM
Stephen Oakes

white clouds got rid of all mine in a day......

So what are the fish going to live on after that??

The next batch of insects that are laid in the pond, along with the algae
that grows there, along with any fish spawn that is produced, along with any
fish that die, etc.

--
Stephen Oakes

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 20 18-12-2004 10:14 PM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 05:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 05:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 11:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 12:37 PM