Old 01-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Andrew G

Default Using Kitty Litter in the Garden

"Jane VR" wrote in message
Andrew G wrote:

I only found out recently my girlfriend is expecting in December, so

maybe
when our baby grows up there will be pets.

Congratulations!!!

Jane

Thank you Jane!

Old 09-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Lushy

Jocks sucked the kitty lovers in
"judy" wrote in message
Cats and pets generally are vital to many people's happiness and I find

your
remarks offensive. Animals do have feelings, as do people who care for

them.

"Jock" wrote in message
I suppose I just have issues with cats in general and the thought of

using
their biproducts as a growth promoter is a bit 'out there' for me. In

my
experience, cats *can* be made beneficial to the garden. Simply bury

one
at
the base of each citrus tree each year and the fruit will be loverley!
That's about the end of their usefulness as I see it and if every

Australian
applied that method of gardening, it would be no time before there were

no
cats around.. - that has to be good for Australia.
Jock

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2003 03:05:23 GMT, "Jock"
wrote:

Look here b4 you dine on the food grown from pussy cat's waste

products
or
even handle said stuff:
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsafety/toxo.html
Jock

Toxoplasmosis is a concern for some people and should be taken
seriously (which is why we flush the cat's solid waste rather than
composting it), but for most people it is not a problem (taken from
the web site above). You need to keep some perspective about the
risk from urine-soaked kitty litter.

Nowhere in the literature do I see any suggestion that the parasite is
harboured on plants, so washing the soil off root vegetables and any
leaves or fruit with soil on them would ensure that you are not
bringing the parasite into your home from the veggie patch.

Tish

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in message
.. .
We have the same issue. We use the pelletized paper kitty litter.

We
flush the solid waste down the loo and put the remainder in the
compost, where it eventually breaks down into lovely compost (our
compost pile is not hot enough and everything seems to take forever

break down). We also find that flushing the solid waste each day

(or
twice a day sometimes) makes the rest of the litter last much

longer.

Tish

Old 09-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Jock

How unkind of you to say that. I meant it. Yesterday, we shovelled another
1/2 pound of the stuff from around the sandpit (away from the cover we use),
but the kids have spilled some sand over the side deep enough for a burial
ground. The joys of cleaning the putrid shit off the kids shoes and hoping
they have not contacted with the stuff. I am going to set a trap and
relocate the filthy cat seeing as how the owners cannot be bothered being
responsible for their cat's whereabouts & output.
The only problem I now have is I have 5 citrus trees and only one cat
available as I see it. Let's see, 5 goes into 1 only 0.2
times.........hmmm!
Jock

even handle said stuff:
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/foodsafety/toxo.html
Jock

Toxoplasmosis is a concern for some people and should be taken
seriously (which is why we flush the cat's solid waste rather than
composting it), but for most people it is not a problem (taken from
the web site above). You need to keep some perspective about the
risk from urine-soaked kitty litter.

Nowhere in the literature do I see any suggestion that the parasite

is
harboured on plants, so washing the soil off root vegetables and any
leaves or fruit with soil on them would ensure that you are not
bringing the parasite into your home from the veggie patch.

Tish

"Tish Silberbauer" wrote in

message
.. .
We have the same issue. We use the pelletized paper kitty

litter.
We
flush the solid waste down the loo and put the remainder in the
compost, where it eventually breaks down into lovely compost (our
compost pile is not hot enough and everything seems to take

forever
break down). We also find that flushing the solid waste each day

(or
twice a day sometimes) makes the rest of the litter last much

longer.

Tish

Who, What Where? Oh yea, Kitty litter Webwarlock Ponds 0 16-08-2004 08:55 PM
Koi Clay vs Kitty Litter gerry Ponds 0 08-07-2004 05:03 PM
Kitty Litter Question Wayne Ponds 19 22-03-2004 12:48 AM
Kitty Litter Question Wayne Ponds 0 17-03-2004 01:56 AM
used kitty litter & gardening? Ablang Gardening 8 05-07-2003 03:44 PM