Old 21-05-2003, 09:20 PM
kyte

Default Cat problem

Anybody got any ideas for keeping aggressive cats out of ones yard?

I am about to buy a supersoaker but if theres a herbal/chemical
alternative (which doesnt involve any cat poisoning) I would be glad
to hear it. I heard that there is stuff you can put on the garden to
keep cats off, maybe that would work?
--
http://www.hamarana.com
Old 22-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Jane VR

kyte wrote:

Anybody got any ideas for keeping aggressive cats out of ones yard?

I am about to buy a supersoaker but if theres a herbal/chemical
alternative (which doesnt involve any cat poisoning) I would be glad
to hear it. I heard that there is stuff you can put on the garden to
keep cats off, maybe that would work?
--
http://www.hamarana.com

There is a product called PetOff, or DogOff or something like that,
which you spray around the place and the smell is supposed to keep them
away and after a few weeks, they are 'trained' to stay out of your
garden. When I worked at a nursery, we sold a lot of it, but never any
repeat customers. Whether that was because it worked so well no one
needed any more, or because it didn't work at all, I don't know.

I have heard you achieve the same effects by sprinkling cayenne pepper
around.

Jane

Old 22-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Andrew

Jock wrote:

http://www.pestproducts.com/cat_trap.htm
Jock

Many councils are now enforcing the same laws for cats found
off the owner's property as are already in place for dogs
(check with your local council). Trapping the animal and
sending it to the local pound may be a very good idea.
Deterrents simply send the cat along to the next
unsuspecting victim and the owner remains oblivious of the
destruction their sweet little cat is doing. Money is more
effective at changing owner behaviour than deterrents are at
changing pet behaviour. If you want to give the owners a
chance you could always attach a warning around its neck of
such future action should the cat be found on your property.
By warning I mean a letter, not a brick or similar. ;-)
Old 22-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Flossie

Perhaps you could borrow a friends dog for a few days, scare the cat
senseless so it associates your yard with the dog... that worked for me.

Old 26-05-2003, 03:09 PM
Joe

A cat trap, from your local council (with a tasty morsel of chicken), a
garbage bag around the cage, the exhaust pipe of your car and about 10c
worth of unleaded.

Extreme? Yes. Effective? Yes. Cruel? No (carbon monoxide poisoning ...
they won't feel a thing).

I got so tired of having my toddlers bring me catshit from their sandpit
and wasting my breath telling the neighbours etc etc. Cat owners are
seriously hearing impaired when it comes to complaints about their
treasured felines roaming everywhere except their own yards.

Works for me, and yes, I CAN sleep at night ... because there aren't any
damn cats howling outside my window at three in the morning.

Old 27-05-2003, 02:08 AM
kyte

"kyte" wrote in message
Anybody got any ideas for keeping aggressive cats out of ones

yard?

I am about to buy a supersoaker but if theres a herbal/chemical
alternative (which doesnt involve any cat poisoning) I would be glad
to hear it. I heard that there is stuff you can put on the garden

to keep cats off, maybe that would work?
--
http://www.hamarana.com

actually I am a cat lover. but I keep mine indoors except when
abluting. and i have to stand guard for them whilst they "go" because
of the extreme aggression of this other cat. (and no, they dont go on
the neighbours yard because they like ours..they have their own sandpit
g)

cayenne pepper sounded good. it should work both ways. to keep mine
in boundary and keep "mr savage" ..as i have named him.. out.

--
http://www.hamarana.com
email: kyte1 at hamarana dot com
Old 27-05-2003, 03:20 AM
Andrew

"kyte" wrote in message
Anybody got any ideas for keeping aggressive cats out of ones
yard?

I am about to buy a supersoaker but if theres a herbal/chemical
alternative (which doesnt involve any cat poisoning) I would be glad
to hear it. I heard that there is stuff you can put on the garden

to keep cats off, maybe that would work?
--
http://www.hamarana.com

actually I am a cat lover. but I keep mine indoors except when
abluting. and i have to stand guard for them whilst they "go" because
of the extreme aggression of this other cat. (and no, they dont go on
the neighbours yard because they like ours..they have their own sandpit
g)

cayenne pepper sounded good. it should work both ways. to keep mine
in boundary and keep "mr savage" ..as i have named him.. out.

Kyte,
It really pleases me when pet owners take measures to
actively control where their pets can go. We have two
neighbourhood cats (owners unknown) that are allowed to
wander day and night, continuously digging up our garden,
defecating everywhere and driving us as well as the local
dogs and our neighbour's "caged" cat crazy. However, the guy
over the fence has a cat run connected to a window cat flap,
so his cat can go in and out as it pleases but cannot
escape, and I have nothing but praise for him. It's great to
see people treating pet ownership as a responsibility and
not a right.
Andrew