Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Litl Fish

Default elephant ears without the elephant

Hi folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to saving an elephant ear plant? When I
bought it a month ago, it had a luxurious growth, and many large leaves. As
soon as I planted it, the leaves started drooping and going yellow. I've
only fertilised it once when planting, and water it every third day. It's in
a shady area facing the West, and copping a bit of wind on the squallier
Melbourne autumn/winter days.

Should I repot it and place it in a sunnier spot slightly more out of the
wind? My wife suggested bringing it indoors, but as we've got a floating
floor system (her idea!) that gets destroyed by any water pooling on it,
I'll leave that one out.

Thanks,
Casey Herman

Old 30-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Gabra

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
Hi folks,
Does anyone have any suggestions as to saving an elephant ear plant? When

bought it a month ago, it had a luxurious growth, and many large leaves.

As
soon as I planted it, the leaves started drooping and going yellow. I've
only fertilised it once when planting, and water it every third day. It's

in
a shady area facing the West, and copping a bit of wind on the squallier
Melbourne autumn/winter days.

Should I repot it and place it in a sunnier spot slightly more out of the
wind? My wife suggested bringing it indoors, but as we've got a floating
floor system (her idea!) that gets destroyed by any water pooling on it,
I'll leave that one out.

Hello Casey,

Pending a reply (I noticed you posted 3 times)... I watched a show and it
mentioned that they love lots and lots of water, so it could be that every 3
days is not enough, especially when you've just planted it.

Old 30-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Litl Fish

Thanks Gabra, I'll take this on board as well. Sorry for posting 3 times,
folks, my software told me there were errors posting...apparently not!

Regards,
Casey

Old 01-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Gabra

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
Thanks Gabra, I'll take this on board as well. Sorry for posting 3 times,
folks, my software told me there were errors posting...apparently not!

Regards,
Casey

I forgot to add--the wind would tend to dry the soil as well. See if
watering alot changes anything--apparently they like wet feet. If not, you'd
have to move it.

Old 15-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Jeremy Lunn

In article , Litl Fish wrote:
Thanks Gabra, I'll take this on board as well. Sorry for posting 3 times,
folks, my software told me there were errors posting...apparently not!

Ahh classic Bigpond/Outlook (or Ouchlook!) Express problem! I suggest
you either change ISPs or use different software (they are both broken).

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia

Elephant Ears Road Runner Gardening 5 17-02-2005 04:36 AM
elephant ears without the elephant Litl Fish Australia 0 27-05-2003 08:32 AM
Elephant Ears Jane Gardening 1 19-04-2003 03:56 PM
elephant ears TakeThisOut Gardening 3 07-04-2003 06:20 PM
Elephant Ears TakeThisOut Gardening 23 14-03-2003 01:20 AM