GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   how to cook Aloe vera? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/29379-how-cook-aloe-vera.html)

John Savage 28-05-2003 04:08 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

On Burkes Backyard, I think about 3 weeks ago, they showed how to cook
Aloe vera. The person who did the taste test said it was delicious. It
was pretty simple, but I didn't pay much attention thinking I'd get the
recipe from their web site later. But I can't find any mention of it
there, so I'm hoping someone else was taking notes. Anyone here?

There is mention of the net that Latinos use Aloe vera in cooking, but
no one seems to have produced a recipe. Other recipes for cooking it
would be welcome, too.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Jane VR 29-05-2003 06:23 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

John Savage wrote:

On Burkes Backyard, I think about 3 weeks ago, they showed how to cook
Aloe vera. The person who did the taste test said it was delicious. It
was pretty simple, but I didn't pay much attention thinking I'd get the
recipe from their web site later. But I can't find any mention of it
there, so I'm hoping someone else was taking notes. Anyone here?

There is mention of the net that Latinos use Aloe vera in cooking, but
no one seems to have produced a recipe. Other recipes for cooking it
would be welcome, too.

I've never heard of this. The juice from the leaves is a very powerful
laxative, so be careful with it.

Jane

arien 29-05-2003 10:56 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

In article ,
says...
'd get the
recipe from their web site later. But I can't find any mentio

Maybe try the Burkes Backyard magazine?
I've noticed that stuff that goes in the magazine tends to be omitted from their website.

--
Mel

Please post reply to newsgroup. Reply address isn't valid.

Chookie 29-05-2003 12:32 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

In article ,
Jane VR wrote:

I've never heard of this. The juice from the leaves is a very powerful
laxative, so be careful with it.

Me either, but I'd heard it was an emetic! Either way, I'll stick to using it
on burns and grazes.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Basil Chupin 29-05-2003 03:08 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

arien wrote:
In article ,
says...

'd get the
recipe from their web site later. But I can't find any mentio

Maybe try the Burkes Backyard magazine?
I've noticed that stuff that goes in the magazine tends to be omitted from their website.

A friend of mine, born and bred oversea in a European country, had
memories of a special dish that he had last eaten some 40 years ago -
and he really missed it! I told him that I knew a person who owned a
restaraunt in Sydney who came from the same part of the world he did and
may know the recipe but unfortunately she did not but thought that her
now deceased husband would have known. So, no recipe of THAT special recipe!

It then occurred to me to do a search using Google for the recipe for
this dish.

It took exactly 3 minutes to find the very recipe that my friend has
been seeking for many, many years (and he, too, daily accesses the
Internet!).

Marvellous what one can find using Google or Ask Jeeves search engines.

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."

Screwed Up Server - Telstra Bigpond 30-05-2003 07:32 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

I've never heard of this. The juice from the leaves is a very powerful
laxative, so be careful with it.

Jane

Hello,

I eat the gel and juice from my aloe vera plants. The green juice is
bitter. The gel is easily ok. Is it a powerful laxative? I dunno I didn't
feel it.

However, the same cannot be said about the green leaves or the skin. I
carelessly ate some of that when I sliced the gel to eat and it made me
totally dead sick for several days.

There are several varieties of the aloe vera plant though. And my experience
might not apply to all.

Anyhow, just eat the gel or drink it down with water and honey. Its suppose
to be very good for the stomach.

DON'T EAT THE GREEN SKIN or any trace of it.

ElCaballoGrande 07-06-2003 09:08 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

Screwed Up Server - Telstra Bigpond wrote:
I've never heard of this. The juice from the leaves is a very powerful
laxative, so be careful

DON'T EAT THE GREEN SKIN or any trace of it.

An old fellow from North American desert country once told me that
after slitting the aloe leaf open the YELLOW portions should be removed
by blotting with absorbent material such as a paper towel because that
is the laxative component.

John Savage 15-06-2003 12:32 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

My isp's server has been flaky for a few weeks, hence no postings.

This is the only aloe vera recipe I have found so far:

Ingredients: for 8 persons/50 min
500 g aloe vera
200 g flour
100 g ghee
1 tsp lemon juice or salt
to taste coarse sugar
Method:
Peel aloe vera and take the pulp out. The pulp will be about 250
grams. Add lemon juice or salt and keep aside for about 15-20
minutes, then wash thoroughly and mash with a fork. Heat a ladle of
ghee in a deep pan. Fry the pulp on low heat until it leaves the
sides of the pan. Remove it from the pan and keep it aside. Put ghee
in the pan and roast the flour on low heat until light brown. When a
good aroma emanates add to it the fried aloe vera and mix. While warm
add coarse sugar and form into laddoos.
kkagrawal@s...
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

I lost the link, but searching google for a few keywords in the recipe will
find it.

There is also mention of an Aloe Jam, but I'm not sure whether it is a
pleasant tasting food, or a medicinal form.

I guess I must be growing pigmy Aloe. Look at this description on the web:

| Habitat Originally from North Africa and Spain, it is native to hot,
| dry regions.
| Appearance Aloe Vera is 12 feet high. The leaves are succulent, broad
| at the base and pointed at the tips, with spines along the edges.

I wouldn't like to parachute into a field of these giant Aloe plants!
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

John Savage 15-06-2003 12:32 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

Basil Chupin writes:
It then occurred to me to do a search using Google for the recipe for
this dish.

Please share your ferretting skills, Basil. Before I posted I spent 2.5
hours on google, finding many requests for recipes, but only one actual
submitted recipe (and it doesn't look very appetising). Most of the
articles I looked at were pre-2000.

One idea sounds good: making candy coated aloe vera cubes, along the
lines of an all-natural jelly-centred confection, a jelly bean. But as
yet no actual recipe.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

BeBe 15-06-2003 03:56 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

Hi John,

I saw that episode and remembered some details. But I wanted to be sure
so I checked the Burkes Backyard website. I entered the word "aloe" in
the SEARCH box on the home page. The only entry remotely relevant was
the 2003 archive about the "Aloe Ver Bra" ;-). And that was in that
episode too. Click on it. Here's a snip FYI.

--
Medicinal properties

Aloe vera is said to have healing properties. In fact, it has been used
medicinally for centuries. It has been identified in wall paintings in
ancient Egypt, where it was apparently used to treat catarrh. Alexander
the Great supposedly used aloes to heal his soldiers’ wounds. In
traditional Chinese medicine the pith and mucilaginous gel from inside
the leaves is boiled, sweetened with honey, then refrigerated and taken
as a tonic. (Note: pregnant women, nursing mothers and children should
not take aloe vera orally.)

Basil Chupin 16-06-2003 06:20 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

John Savage wrote:
Basil Chupin writes:

It then occurred to me to do a search using Google for the recipe for
this dish.

Please share your ferretting skills, Basil. Before I posted I spent 2.5
hours on google, finding many requests for recipes, but only one actual
submitted recipe (and it doesn't look very appetising). Most of the
articles I looked at were pre-2000.

One idea sounds good: making candy coated aloe vera cubes, along the
lines of an all-natural jelly-centred confection, a jelly bean. But as
yet no actual recipe.

Try doing a search on "recipes aloe vera" (without the quotes of course)
and see what this turns up.

Cheers.

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."

John Savage 24-06-2003 02:44 AM

how to cook Aloe vera?

Basil Chupin writes:
Try doing a search on "recipes aloe vera" (without the quotes of course)
and see what this turns up.

Thanks Basil. Lots of recipes for aloe hand cream and sun lotion!
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Basil Chupin 24-06-2003 03:08 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

John Savage wrote:
Basil Chupin writes:

Try doing a search on "recipes aloe vera" (without the quotes of course)
and see what this turns up.

Thanks Basil. Lots of recipes for aloe hand cream and sun lotion!

In Google, select Group search and then look in:

alt.folklore.herbs and

own.health.herbs

Search on "aloe" and see what turns up.

You could also subscribe to NG called rec.food.recipes (it's a moderated
NS; I was in it for some time and was provided with a recipe from a
person in Canada for a sandwich which I ate as a child in China)) and
ask the question there if the above 2 NSs do not produce anything.

You could also pay a visit to www.chamomiletimes.com/herbs/aloevera
where there is lots of interesting things to see - some could be useful :-).

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."

Basil Chupin 07-07-2003 06:03 PM

how to cook Aloe vera?

Basil Chupin wrote:
John Savage wrote:

Basil Chupin writes:

Try doing a search on "recipes aloe vera" (without the quotes of course)
and see what this turns up.

Thanks Basil. Lots of recipes for aloe hand cream and sun lotion!

In Google, select Group search and then look in:

alt.folklore.herbs and

own.health.herbs

Search on "aloe" and see what turns up.

You could also subscribe to NG called rec.food.recipes (it's a moderated
NS; I was in it for some time and was provided with a recipe from a
person in Canada for a sandwich which I ate as a child in China)) and
ask the question there if the above 2 NSs do not produce anything.

You could also pay a visit to www.chamomiletimes.com/herbs/aloevera
where there is lots of interesting things to see - some could be useful
:-).

You could also try our own ABC's site - www.abc.net.au/gardening - and
do a search on "aloe vera". There are some interesting articles about
this succulent.

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."