Old 12-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Mylorace

Default OT ... Burning Wood - Open Fireplace

David

Sorry was directed at David, who I think told me to not burn my fire. !
Old 13-06-2003, 12:34 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Mylorace" wrote in message
"rob" wrote in message

Do you have any evidence or supporting documentation of these two
points?

Er...... Rob are you a slow learner ?

I take that to be a no.

David

Old 15-06-2003, 02:08 AM

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 18:42:19 +1000, A bit more than
wrote:

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:58:07 GMT, "
wrote:

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

I'm using my open fireplace every Friday when I have friends over for a late
evening party. I found that if I cut the redgum wood to a (human's) arm
length and width, the fire burns quite nicely and doesn't have any smoke
problems.

Some of my friends suffer from asthma but say they love my fireplace and
don't suffer from any side-effects afterwards.

But the government site claims that there are no safe level of wood smoke;
... then again this is the same government that's operating a nuclear
reactor at Lucas Heights... just kidding there

Any comments on open fireplaces?

Open fireplaces should (and will eventually) be banned. They waste resources
and are responsible for many cases of asthma. It is far better for both people
and the environment to use electricity or gas.

Check with your local hospital and you will see that admissions for asthma
double in the cooler periods due to the noxious emissions of open fireplaces.

I don't believe that these assertions are true. For sure, and
depending on what assumptions you make, you can 'prove' that there is
a relationship of whatever kind you like between asthma and smoke. But
remember, correlation is not causality
For example, I once lived for several years near the brown coal
power generating center of the LaTrobe Valley. They started their
calculations by assuming that the fuel that was burned in the
generating stations was free. If you put a reasonable cost on the
fuel, the system, fuel pit to power socket had a efficiency of 25%
max.
Secondly, my bedroom faced north, across the valley, towards the
rising sun. I have never seen such beautiful sunrises. All due to
pollution, of course
Finally, If I wantt a fire, somebody, somewhere, has got to cut down
a tree (or else wait for one to fall over) Not very efficient if you
have firewood merchants driving big trucks of firewood from the bush
to the city then back to the bush - the return trip probably without a
back-load. Much better if I go out into the paddock with a chainsaw,
find a suitable tree, and carry the timber from my paddock to my house
on a tractor