Old 05-06-2003, 10:12 AM

Default OT ... Burning Wood - Open Fireplace

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

I'm using my open fireplace every Friday when I have friends over for a late
evening party. I found that if I cut the redgum wood to a (human's) arm
length and width, the fire burns quite nicely and doesn't have any smoke
problems.

Some of my friends suffer from asthma but say they love my fireplace and
don't suffer from any side-effects afterwards.

But the government site claims that there are no safe level of wood smoke;
.... then again this is the same government that's operating a nuclear
reactor at Lucas Heights... just kidding there

Any comments on open fireplaces?

--
_______________________
I apologize if you are seeing this same message posted here a dozen times.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Basil Chupin

wrote:
http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

I'm using my open fireplace every Friday when I have friends over for a late
evening party. I found that if I cut the redgum wood to a (human's) arm
length and width, the fire burns quite nicely and doesn't have any smoke
problems.

Some of my friends suffer from asthma but say they love my fireplace and
don't suffer from any side-effects afterwards.

But the government site claims that there are no safe level of wood smoke;
.... then again this is the same government that's operating a nuclear
reactor at Lucas Heights... just kidding there

Any comments on open fireplaces?

Your asthma-suffering friends will not be affected by the smoke while
they are sitting in front of the fire or even just being in the room
because - and this is why open fireplaces are such a damn waste of
resources and are major polluters - all the air in the room is sucked
out thru the flue! The smoke ends up OUTSIDE the house. The open fire
also burns the oxygen in the room (and sucks it out outside) so you need
a way to replenish the burnt oxygen.

What heat you feel sitting in front of the fire is only radiant heat,
and this is only a small fraction of the total heat which is just blown
out thru the flue. One of the most inefficient ways of keeping warm.

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."

Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Bushy

out thru the flue. One of the most inefficient ways of keeping warm.

Keep my place warm and cosy all winter long with my stove. Heats my hot
water as well! 60 gallons is enough for even my long showers, and if I crank
up the fire with a few good logs, I can shower for a hour. With 160 acres of
trees, I'm never short of a few old dead sticks.

Beats the hell out of a $600.00 power bill for a quarter, even if I have to
chop a bit.

Peter

Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Adam

snip
Your asthma-suffering friends will not be affected by the smoke while
they are sitting in front of the fire or even just being in the room
because - and this is why open fireplaces are such a damn waste of
resources and are major polluters - all the air in the room is sucked
out thru the flue! The smoke ends up OUTSIDE the house. The open fire
also burns the oxygen in the room (and sucks it out outside) so you need
a way to replenish the burnt oxygen.

What heat you feel sitting in front of the fire is only radiant heat,
and this is only a small fraction of the total heat which is just blown
out thru the flue. One of the most inefficient ways of keeping warm.

My parents have an older place with an OFP and there's not much heat
that is lost thru the flue.
4-5 split chunks of redgum will heat the lounge / meals / kitchen (
it's a large open area ) for several hours.
The more modern stove types are even better. 4-5 chunks burn for hours
and would actually heat the room to an uncomfortable level.
Cheaper & arguably more efficient than burning non-renewable gas...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:13 AM
Barrie Mather

wrote:

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s?OpenDocument

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

Hi

The main adverse criticsm is that an open fire place is a very
inefficient way of heating a room

At one time we had an open fireplace and we had to put an electric heat
source at the back of the room to keep our backs warm. We decided to
instal a stove, and chose a Jotul 118, which is just a cast iron box
about fifteen inches by a yard. We thought we should miss the sight of
the flames and agonised for nearly two years about whether to put it
where the open fireplace was or some place else. We eventually put it
somewhere else and put the sofa across the old fireplace, and never
moved it until 20 years later when we rebuilt the house. Didn't mis the
sight of the fire at all. I believe, Unfortunately I believe the 118
has gone out of production.
Barrie

Old 05-06-2003, 10:44 AM
A bit more than

On Tue, 03 Jun 2003 14:58:07 GMT, "
m wrote:

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

I'm using my open fireplace every Friday when I have friends over for a late
evening party. I found that if I cut the redgum wood to a (human's) arm
length and width, the fire burns quite nicely and doesn't have any smoke
problems.

Some of my friends suffer from asthma but say they love my fireplace and
don't suffer from any side-effects afterwards.

But the government site claims that there are no safe level of wood smoke;
... then again this is the same government that's operating a nuclear
reactor at Lucas Heights... just kidding there

Any comments on open fireplaces?

Open fireplaces should (and will eventually) be banned. They waste resources
and are responsible for many cases of asthma. It is far better for both people
and the environment to use electricity or gas.

Check with your local hospital and you will see that admissions for asthma
double in the cooler periods due to the noxious emissions of open fireplaces.

Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Mylorace

wrote:

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open fireplaces?

The main adverse criticsm is that an open fire place is a very
inefficient way of heating a room

Only inefficient if you don't have enough wood to burn !
most rural and semi rural properties have plenty close by.
I am also getting very tired of The Wowser brigade telling us all what we can,
and can not do without feeling guilty.
Throw another log on the fire, enjoy yourself, stuff the Wowsers.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:08 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Mylorace" wrote in message

Anyone has any thoughts on the problems associated with open

fireplaces?

The main adverse criticsm is that an open fire place is a very
inefficient way of heating a room

Only inefficient if you don't have enough wood to burn !
most rural and semi rural properties have plenty close by.
I am also getting very tired of The Wowser brigade telling us all what

we can,
and can not do without feeling guilty.
Throw another log on the fire, enjoy yourself, stuff the Wowsers.

Yes, what the hell, stuff 'em, burn away, it doesn't matter to *ME*

The attitude that if a resource is readily available and cheap, even
apparently limitless, then it should be used up without thought of the
consequences is responsible for much of the ecological damage that we
cause to the Earth. This damage does have consequences and will
continue to have consequences down the years for our children and their
children, although not necessarily to the one who caused it. I would
say that you need more guilt not less.

David

Old 06-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Basil Chupin

Bushy wrote:
out thru the flue. One of the most inefficient ways of keeping warm.

Keep my place warm and cosy all winter long with my stove. Heats my hot
water as well! 60 gallons is enough for even my long showers, and if I crank
up the fire with a few good logs, I can shower for a hour. With 160 acres of
trees, I'm never short of a few old dead sticks.

Beats the hell out of a $600.00 power bill for a quarter, even if I have to
chop a bit.

Peter

The original poster was talking about an OPEN FIREPLACE not a stove as
you are talking about.

--
"I'd rather be a has-been than a never-been-at-all."

Old 07-06-2003, 07:20 AM
Robyn

Is it a good use of wood to just put it into land-fill? That where it
goes in the city and suburbs? You can't just leave old fences and broken
tree branches around here and say that it is part of the ecosystem.
Don't mean to sound facetious. I like me fire and I like having
something to do with all the wood that comes down in my yard (and my
friends yards)
Robyn.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:44 AM
rob

Some in this thread are discussing open vs slow combustion and others wood
vs some other non renewable energy.

firstly, slow combustion is by far the better system and
secondly, it's far better to burn wood that can regrow than oil, gas, or
electricity produced from same.

--
Robert B* II

Old 08-06-2003, 06:32 AM
rob

1. a slow combustion heater or stove is NOT an open fire
2. a correctly burning SC fire does not create smoke and in any case the
flue is required by most laws to be clear of buildings to allow the wind to
clear any smoke.
3. As for asthma, it appears to be the product of a weaker generation,
possibly linked to poor diet (too many additives) on their parents part and
should not be part of any sensible discussion by normal healthy persons.
4. The human race evolved out of a burning environment and seems to have
survived quite well.
5. Acrid or distasteful smoke is from burning other than wood products like
plastics and treated timber, and this could be remedied on a local level
with education, by-laws, and perhaps a "dob-in-a-stinker" campaign where
offenders are identified and the contents of the fire analysed and the home
owner fined.

--
Robert B* II

Old 11-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Mylorace

Robert B* II

3. As for asthma, it appears to be the product of a weaker generation,
possibly linked to poor diet (too many additives) on their parents part and
should not be part of any sensible discussion by normal healthy persons.

4. The human race evolved out of a burning environment and seems to have
survived quite well.

At last some sense on the matter, can you believe that the Dope's and Basket
Weavers who run the council up here (Blue Mountains) NSW are actually offering
a cash back on old SC stoves, to replace wuth electricity or gas.

These are the same people who have banned circuses in the area as it is
demeaning to animals, no wonder there kiddies suffer from asthma, they are most
likely vegeterians as well, if, as you say, the kids are fed properly and given
healthy entertainment around animals, then there would be a lot less asthma.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:09 AM
David Hare-Scott

"rob" wrote in message
...snip..
3. As for asthma, it appears to be the product of a weaker generation,
possibly linked to poor diet (too many additives) on their parents

part and
should not be part of any sensible discussion by normal healthy

persons.
4. The human race evolved out of a burning environment and seems to

have
survived quite well.

....snip...

--
Robert B* II
"rob" wrote in message

Do you have any evidence or supporting documentation of these two
points?

If it is just your opinion you are of course entitled to express it but
I am more interested in facts, figures and the opinions of experts in
the field(s) if there are any.

David

Old 12-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Mylorace

"rob" wrote in message

Do you have any evidence or supporting documentation of these two
points?

Er...... Rob are you a slow learner ?