Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Bumblebee

Default Squirrel repellent?

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:21:32 +0100, mf197421 wrote:

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd
have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to
respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously
about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.

mf197421

We don't have Squirrels in Australia but then perhaps you haven't
realised that this is an Australian newsgroup. We have a problem with
introduced species though, such as Foxes and Cats both of which are in
plague proportions in some Districts. Our Local Council educates
people not to feed stray cats and also encourages residents to trap
them so they can be euthantised.
--

Chris Bee
Old 12-02-2004, 07:09 PM
Rod Out back

Lots of stuff snipped

Sorry to all about the rant; this head-in-the-sand approach makes me
cranky...

I snipped a bit of your reply Rod but I agree whole heartedly with
your comments. We like to see Australian Native Birds here in
Melbourne and hate to see them destroyed by Feral Cats.
--

Chris Bee

Thanks Chris, and also thankyou for pointing out it is an AUS group. I
forgot to mention this in my verbal outpouring. I'd like to think
Australians are a bit more pragmatic about feral animal control.
I wonder if this person will love and cherish every Cane Toad they
encounter...

Cheers,

Rod.....Out Back

P.S. Have you seen Rainbow Bee-eaters on the wing? We have a flock of 30
or so doing an aerobatics display over the house this afternoon, while
catching insects. I cant believe how pretty they are.

Old 12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Bumblebee

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:35:00 GMT, Rod Out back wrote:

"mf197421" wrote in message

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd
have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to
respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously
about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.
--
mf197421

What I find of great concern is how lightly you take the precious native
wildlife that a cat eats! Any thoughts to the countless birds, lizards and
small furry animals that are eaten every day by cats?? Cats are one of our
worst predatory killers.

We have made a concerted effort here (an outback Australian property) to rid
our countryside of cats & foxes. Within 6 months of commencing this program
(10-80 baiting, & shooting), we saw a steadily growing number of nocturnal
lizards (broad-banded sand swimmer), marsupial mice(dunnarts) and legless
lizards. In addition, there are some species of bird that seem to be in
greater numbers, and we had been in our worst drought in 100 years.
It has become apparent that feral cats & foxes have been keeping some native
animal populations very close to non-existant in this area.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 PM
Bumblebee

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:24:37 GMT, Rod Out back wrote:

I agree whole heartedly with your comments. We like to see Australian
Native Birds here in Melbourne and hate to see them destroyed by Feral Cats.

Thanks Chris, and also thankyou for pointing out it is an AUS group. I
forgot to mention this in my verbal outpouring. I'd like to think
Australians are a bit more pragmatic about feral animal control.
I wonder if this person will love and cherish every Cane Toad they
encounter...

P.S. Have you seen Rainbow Bee-eaters on the wing? We have a flock of 30
or so doing an aerobatics display over the house this afternoon, while
catching insects. I cant believe how pretty they are.

Unfortunately the majority of birds flying over our homes in suburbia
are sparrows, mynas and pigeons. We have quite a few Eucalypts in our
suburb however and Magpies pay us a visit for up to a week at a time.
During their stay listening to their song is a delight.
--

Chris Bee

Old 13-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Trish Brown

Bumblebee wrote:

Unfortunately the majority of birds flying over our homes in suburbia
are sparrows, mynas and pigeons. We have quite a few Eucalypts in our
suburb however and Magpies pay us a visit for up to a week at a time.
During their stay listening to their song is a delight.
--

Chris Bee

Y'know, the people living in our area seem to have gone *mad* planting native
trees! Maybe because of the drought, maybe not. Anyway, I've noticed an amazing
increase in the numbers of native birds visiting this pretty dreary suburban
area over the past five years or so. From the ho-hum sparrows and pigeons, we've
now got about ten different honeyeaters (including Noisy Friarbirds),
pardalotes, flycatchers and more recently (yay!) a pair of Little Falcons! We've
even had a Channel Billed Cuckoo and a White Tailed Black Cockatoo squawking
along overhead!

Is it just me, or are other suburban dwellers noticing more and more native
birds coming back??? Especially the parrots?

My hope is that councils will come to understand the benefits of redressing the
'bad' stuff we've done to our localities and try to gradually put it right. I
think the informed decision to limit the influence of cats, dogs and other
domestic pet animals on wildlife is a step in the right direction. Mind you, I'm
not saying get *rid* of such animals! I'm simply asking that people think hard
about the effects they can have and try to keep their companion animals in such
a way as to minimise their damage. That sounded really A-bout-face, but y'know
what I mean?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Old 13-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Bumblebee

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:08:46 +1100, Trish Brown wrote:

Bumblebee wrote:

Unfortunately the majority of birds flying over our homes in suburbia
are sparrows, mynas and pigeons. We have quite a few Eucalypts in our
suburb however and Magpies pay us a visit for up to a week at a time.
During their stay listening to their song is a delight.

Is it just me, or are other suburban dwellers noticing more and more native
birds coming back??? Especially the parrots?

I think so, we *do* have a small variety of Parrots and sometimes a
flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos will arrive and spend a few hours
with us. In our area it wouldn't have happened a few years back, we
feel it is due to cleaning up what use to be known as "Newport Tip".

My hope is that councils will come to understand the benefits of redressing the
'bad' stuff we've done to our localities and try to gradually put it right. I
think the informed decision to limit the influence of cats, dogs and other
domestic pet animals on wildlife is a step in the right direction.

Newport Quarry, later known as the Newport Tip is within a few
kilometres of where I live. Our Council cleaned up the area a bit.
Perhaps I may be under stating what they have achieved vbg
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~fonl/history/dreamtime.html

Mind you, I'm
not saying get *rid* of such animals! I'm simply asking that people think hard
about the effects they can have and try to keep their companion animals in such
a way as to minimise their damage. That sounded really A-bout-face, but y'know
what I mean?

Councils in our area are trying to educate people regarding their
responsibility in owning a dog or cat. They encourage microchip
implants so if a dog or cat is found wandering it can be returned to
its owner, although with an appropriate fine.
--

Chris Bee