Old 15-06-2003, 03:20 AM
TheresaKyn

Default Squirrel repellent?

Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my plants.

Thank you.
Theresa
Old 15-06-2003, 03:32 AM
Tazman

"TheresaKyn" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant

ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my plants.

Thank you.
Theresa

hmm let me think .. A shotgun

I did not think we had Squirrels in AUSTRALIA.....

Old 15-06-2003, 10:44 AM
[Bumblebee]

On 15 Jun 2003 02:18:04 GMT,"TheresaKyn" posted ...

Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my plants.

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.
--

Chris Bee
Old 16-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Greenie LeBrun

TheresaKyn wrote:

Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my plants.

Thank you.
Theresa

Wombats, I have had no problems with squirrels since I got my attack
wombats.
--

I'm not paranoid, I KNOW the whole world is out to get me.

Don't bother replying via email I am a fictitious entity.

Old 16-06-2003, 03:08 AM
[Bumblebee]

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 09:46:57 +1000,"Greenie LeBrun" posted ...

TheresaKyn wrote:

Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my plants.

Wombats, I have had no problems with squirrels since I got my attack
wombats.

TheresaKyn is trying to protect her Elephants from the Squirrels, so I
wouldn't risk Wombats in there despite them being attack Wombats.
--

Chris Bee

Old 16-06-2003, 03:20 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Greenie LeBrun" wrote in message
TheresaKyn wrote:

Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my

elephant ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my

plants.

Thank you.
Theresa

Wombats, I have had no problems with squirrels since I got my attack
wombats.
--

I presume this is because you no longer have any plants for the
squirrels to atttack?

David

Old 16-06-2003, 03:20 AM
David Hare-Scott

"TheresaKyn" wrote in message
Does anyone know of a squirrel repellent that I may use on my elephant

ears and
elsewhere in my garden? The squirrels are chewing the tops off my

plants.

Thank you.
Theresa

Google the archives of rec.gardens and rec.gardens.edible this topic
comes up regularly there.

David

Old 17-06-2003, 12:36 AM
ling

I used to trap them using the old fashion wire cage trap.
Using a unripe fruit as bait. They can spot a fruit miles away.

Ling

Old 17-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Wallaby

Actually there is a population of squirrels in Oz; around the suburb of the
Perth Zoo, these were escapees. Perhaps they are now surviving on elephant
ears?
"

Old 11-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Registered User

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.
--

Chris Bee [/b][/quote]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother" they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.
Old 12-02-2004, 02:52 AM
Rod Out back

"mf197421" wrote in message

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.
--

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd
have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to
respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously
about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.

--
mf197421

What I find of great concern is how lightly you take the precious native
wildlife that a cat eats! Any thoughts to the countless birds, lizards and
small furry animals that are eaten every day by cats?? Cats are one of our
worst predatory killers.

We have made a concerted effort here (an outback Australian property) to rid
our countryside of cats & foxes. Within 6 months of commencing this program
(10-80 baiting, & shooting), we saw a steadily growing number of nocturnal
lizards (broad-banded sand swimmer), marsupial mice(dunnarts) and legless
lizards. In addition, there are some species of bird that seem to be in
greater numbers, and we had been in our worst drought in 100 years.
It has become apparent that feral cats & foxes have been keeping some native
animal populations very close to non-existant in this area.
Have you ever looked at the contents of a cats stomach; even a domestic one?
Probably not; I am betting. You will find an awfull lot of your wildlife
dissappears down its gullet. Cats are one of natures most successfull
predators, and they dont stop because they are getting fed every day at
home! We had 2 cats here a few years ago, and despite 2 meals a day and dry
feed on hand 24/7(I kid you not), they would still go and catch birds,
lizards, dunnarts, and whatever they could find. Since their respective
passings, the wildlife has breathed a collective sigh of relief.

I dont have a problem with cats as such, but 99% of cat owners feel that it
is their moggy's god-given right to prowl around and catch & kill whatever
it finds.

And no doubt you think I am just so horrid for being prepared to kill those
animals that threaten our native wildlife; simply because they are alive???.
Think about their prey! Some of it is far more precious than a cat!

From my side, I believe your attitude is something close to environmental
vandalism. Your approach means that every animal has the right to exist,
regardless of the circumstances as to how it got there. The problem is that
many ecosystems would dissappear overnight if you follow this philosophy. I
dont believe an animal should suffer cruelty, and the poster you took
offence to indicated they take steps to minimise the suffering to the
animal. This is (in my opinion) about as thoughtful and conscientious an
approach to the problem of cats that you can get. More people should be
doing the same.

Unfortunately, I dont have anything to offer the squirrel repellant request.
However, 10-80 works a treat on cats...

Sorry to all about the rant; this head-in-the-sand approach makes me
cranky...

Cheers,

Rod.......Out Back

Old 12-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Bumblebee

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:21:32 +0100, mf197421 wrote:

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
nature of the reader's practice to "occasionally put out traps.." I'd
have hoped that all the horrors of last century would have taught us to
respect and value all life, or, at the very least, to think seriously
about the necessity of killing a living being before taking such a step.

mf197421

We don't have Squirrels in Australia but then perhaps you haven't
realised that this is an Australian newsgroup. We have a problem with
introduced species though, such as Foxes and Cats both of which are in
plague proportions in some Districts. Our Local Council educates
people not to feed stray cats and also encourages residents to trap
them so they can be euthantised.
--

Chris Bee

Old 12-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Bumblebee

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 02:35:00 GMT, Rod Out back wrote:

"mf197421" wrote in message

I haven't been troubled by squirrels as yet but I occasionally set
traps
to catch stray cats which are then put to sleep by a local authority.

Chris Bee [/b]

I find this message upsetting. There is nothing illegal in the actions
described in it, but, rather, what is upseting is the casual tone in
which putting cats to death is presented as a solution to the "bother"
they cause. After all, it's living beings, able to feel pain, to attach
themselves to people etc., we are talking about.
From this standpoint, I was particularly dismayed by the systematic
[...]

snipped

Sorry to all about the rant; this head-in-the-sand approach makes me
cranky...

I snipped a bit of your reply Rod but I agree whole heartedly with
your comments. We like to see Australian Native Birds here in
Melbourne and hate to see them destroyed by Feral Cats.
--

Chris Bee