Old 16-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Peter and Susan

Default Silkworms

I know this is slightly off-topic but would anyone know if it is still
possible to buy silkworms and where one might obtain them?

I remember 'growing' them when I was a kid and I would like to share that
experience with my nephew. Of course I am looking at doing this project
later in the year when the mulberry trees have grown a few more leaves.

TIA

Susan
Gold Coast

Old 16-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Linda

I guess you don't have Emporer gum moth catapillars in the Northern
states? They are first cousins (I think), and grow easily on eucalypts
or Liquidambars.

And are beautiful and are native. And the moths are wonderful,
especially when you finally release them

Linda

Old 17-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Jane VR

Peter and Susan wrote:

I know this is slightly off-topic but would anyone know if it is still
possible to buy silkworms and where one might obtain them?

I remember 'growing' them when I was a kid and I would like to share that
experience with my nephew. Of course I am looking at doing this project
later in the year when the mulberry trees have grown a few more leaves.

TIA

Susan
Gold Coast

Sometimes pet stores sell them, in season.

Jane

Old 24-06-2003, 01:44 AM
John Savage

"Peter and Susan" writes:
I remember 'growing' them when I was a kid and I would like to share that
experience with my nephew. Of course I am looking at doing this project
later in the year when the mulberry trees have grown a few more leaves.

You do know that silkworms don't REQUIRE mulberry leaves, do you?
I just forget most of the alternatives, but I think lettuce leaves
are one option. Different leaves result in different coloured silk.
While mulberry leaves lead to golden thread, lettuce produces white
silk, IIRC. Or that's the general idea, anyway. Might be handy if
you don't have a good supply of mulberry leaves.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 29-10-2004, 09:49 AM
China

G'day,
It's my experience that you can buy them at your local pet shop,
even if they have to 'get them in' for you.

China
Wingham
NSW

"bleanne" wrote in message
My daughter is doing a project on silkworms and we would like to build a
silkworm farm to form a part of her project. Does anyone know where I

might
be able to purhcase some silkworms?

Thanks