Old 26-06-2003, 01:44 AM
Les Norton

Default Olive Tree

Hi,

I recently moved into a home with a huge Olive tree in the back garden.

When/how should I pick the olives ?
And how do I process them for table olives or olive oil ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Les.

Old 26-06-2003, 09:08 PM
col

"Les Norton" wrote in message
Hi,

I recently moved into a home with a huge Olive tree in the back garden.

When/how should I pick the olives ?
And how do I process them for table olives or olive oil ?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
Les.

Les,

Unless you are really keen and have an olive press etc, give up on the oil
idea, but if you feel the need let the fruit ripen till fully black then
pick them. Press the fruit in your new olive press and run the juice into
containers, the oil will separate and float to the top then you decant it
off into bottles. It takes many kilos of fruit to get a bottle of oil so
keep pressing. You will start to realise why good olive oil costs so much -
but oh the taste.
Dry bread dipped in fresh oil, a glass of wine and Dean Martin on the CD
player - don't forget the invite.

Pick your olives for table use either when they have changed to light yellow
/ green or any of the ripening stages through to fully purple / black. It's
a personal taste thing although the riper ( is riper a word?) they are the
less bitter they start out thus the quicker the process.
Pick the fruit by hand to avoid brusing and soak the fruit in fresh water
for 14 days changing the water every day ( 20L plastic buckets with lids are
good for this). Then make a brine solution with enough salt desolved in it
to make a raw egg float ( I think it is about 100g per litre but the egg
thing is a traditional indicator). Soak the olives in this for 2 weeks then
change the brine. (The timing isn't real important providing you leave them
long enough to leach out the bitterness). Do this a couple of times then
start tasting them. Once they taste good to you you tranfer them to jars
with oil and flavorings (lemon peel, garlic, cardoman etc) or leave them in
a bulk container of brine with several cloves of garlic and a handfull of
bay leaves etc. If leaving them in brine you float some olive oil ontop to
prevent mould developing and just scoop out as many as you need at a time.

There are heaps of variations on this but all of the safe methods involve
soaking out the bitterness and preserving in brine. Avoid the methods using
caustic soda unless you know what you are doing and are in a real hurry.

Oh, I nearly forgot.. Then you send me a jar and I tell everyone what a
great job you did with those olives.

Cheers
Col

Old 27-06-2003, 12:08 AM
Les Norton

"col" wrote in message

"Les Norton" wrote in message
[...]

Col,

Thanks for the great advice, I'll give it a try.
The olives have been the same green colour since I moved in 4 months ago.
Some of the ones that fall on the ground start going purple/black in colour.
Will the ones on the tree start changing colour, or only after I pick them ?
Is there a particular month that I should start picking them ?

Cheers,
Les.

Old 01-07-2003, 03:08 PM
col

"Les Norton" wrote in message

?
Is there a particular month that I should start picking them ?

Cheers,
Les.

Les,

If some of them are starting to fall then go ahead and pick them all now, it
is about the right time anyway.
It may be that your particular variety doesn't go evenly black so you could
pick half of the crop now and wait a bit longer to see what happens.
Personally I would just leave a branch unpicked to seewhat happens but
harvest the rest so that you don't lose them all in a storm or some other
event.

I am not sure if they will ripen more when picked, I don't think so but then
I have been wrong before.
I have been blessed with a flock of cockatoos that saved me the dilemma of
when to pick my two trees, they ate every single one. I sure hope they were
good.

Happy pickling Les

Col

Old 03-07-2003, 12:44 PM
Janet

PICKLING OLIVES

I have always picked green olives as they take on a light straw colour, and
pickled them very successfully although they do take quite a lot of time.

Olives bruise easily, and those bruised should be discarded as they will
turn to mush and will not taste the same.
Leave the olives sitting in a brine mixture for at least 5 to 6 weeks or
until they are no longer bitter to the taste. They can then be stored in a
cool, dark place for up to 6 months.....
Remove stems from olives, make 2 cuts through to the stone in EACH olive - I
put a X cut at one end - and place them in large sterilised glass or
earthenware containers and cover with cold water. Fill a small plastic bag
with water and tie the end. Sit the bag on top of the olives to keep them
submerged. Store in a cool, dark place for a week, changing the water every
day. Drain the olives.

For each 850g of olives you will need - 1/3 cup of fine sea salt; 1 litre
(4 cups) water; and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of olive oil.

Combine the salt and the litre of water in a pan, and stir over low heat
until salt dissolves; cool. Add enough salted water to cover the olives -
then top with enough oil to seal completely.
Once the olives are pickled, you can marinate them for extra flavour.
Drain, then put them in a jar with 6 slices of lemon, 3 sprigs of rosemary,
1 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup white wine vinegar, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup
sweet chilli sauce, 2 cloves crushed garlic and 1 teasp cracked black
pepper.

Very labour intensive, but well worth the effort.
Jan