GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weed mat vs Newspaper (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/35602-weed-mat-vs-newspaper.html)

Gen 06-07-2003 07:56 AM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

As I was removing the large gravel covering the weed mat in a garden
bed today I mused on the comparative merits of both in the never
ending bid to cover the soil to reduce weeds.

What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

Paul Smart 06-07-2003 09:20 AM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

I've used both over the years, both seem to work but the newspapers you
have to ensure that you get a good over lap of papers so that you don't
leave any gaps for the dreeded weeds to grow back through.

Tricia 08-07-2003 01:33 AM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

Gen wrote:
:: Weed mat vs Newspaper
::
:: As I was removing the large gravel covering the weed mat in a garden
:: bed today I mused on the comparative merits of both in the never
:: ending bid to cover the soil to reduce weeds.
::
:: What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

Weed mat over newspaper, but I wouldn't use either. The ground wouldn't
breathe very well with newspaper. I'd just put 6" of loose mulch over the
top.

--
Tricia
23109810

John Savage 08-07-2003 02:32 AM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

(Gen) writes:
What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

I haven't tried weed mat. But I know it takes me hours to put down
just a few old newspapers, especially if its a nice sunny day.
As I spread them out, I see articles that demand a second read!

One problem with newspapers is when you water a shrub with a hose for
5 or 6 minutes, the newspaper may divert the water so it runs off
well away from the roots. You need to leave some holes where you can
water to be sure that the soil underneath gets watered. With gentle
rain, I expect the water gradually soaks through the layers of paper.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Andrew G 08-07-2003 12:08 PM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

"Gen" wrote in message
om...
Weed mat vs Newspaper

As I was removing the large gravel covering the weed mat in a garden
bed today I mused on the comparative merits of both in the never
ending bid to cover the soil to reduce weeds.

What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

Weed Mat.
Good. Seems to work ok, but some weeds will still get through it, i.e Nut
grass can.
Bad. Can cause the soil to overheat in summer and possibly damage roots.

Newspaper.
Good. It breaks down. Seems to work well if put on thick.
Bad. Breaking down means it needs re-doing more often. Water may not get
through as well.

I would use the newspaper cos it's free. Neither work 100%. With the weed
mat and gravel on top eventually weed seeds wil;l get in the gravel and
start germinating, so it has to be pulled up and relayed.
Best control would we weed control by hand or spraying and trying to get rid
of any other weeds that may be around.
Good luck

Gunner 08-07-2003 02:08 PM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

And Termites won't eat weed mat. They love newspaper or any other form of
cellulose.

"Litl Fish" wrote in message
Weed mat won't rot!

Dion 20-07-2003 11:53 AM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

On 5 Jul 2003 23:51:56 -0700, (Gen) wrote:

Weed mat vs Newspaper

As I was removing the large gravel covering the weed mat in a garden
bed today I mused on the comparative merits of both in the never
ending bid to cover the soil to reduce weeds.

What do you think are the pros and cons of each?

I laid weet mat + rocks a week ago in my front garden.

Today I noticed nut grass poking through in 2 places.

Makes me wonder why I bothered!!!!

Bushy 21-07-2003 04:17 PM

Weed mat vs Newspaper

Today I noticed nut grass poking through in 2 places.

Makes me wonder why I bothered!!!!

Keep painting the green bits with concentrated Roundup or equivalant
competitors glyphosphate product. Takes a couple of seasons to control a bad
run, but you can do it.

Hope this helps,
Peter