Old 06-07-2003, 07:56 AM
Gen

Default Mildew on peas?

Mildew on peas?
I planted sweet peas and telephone peas on March 17th (of course). I
removed them yesterday as
both varieties ( including the pods that had developed) were covered
in a white dust. Would this be mould? At the base of the plants the
leaves were brown, dead and holey.
Any solutions to avoid repeat performance, please ?
(I am in the Northern Rivers area of NSW...subtropical)
Old 06-07-2003, 09:32 AM
Gregory Toomey

"Gen" wrote in message
m...
Any solutions to avoid repeat performance, please ?

I found the best way to grow vegetables is hydroponics, and the best intro
to hydroponics is Sutherlands' "Hydroponic for Everyone".
http://www.greenweb.com.au/hyland/ht..._everyone.html

Even if you never plan to use hydroponics, it teaches you about what plants
need to grow. eg plants need water/nutrients but how can you ensure they
get the right amounts?

I just use non-recycling systems (ie no pumps) and use Miracle Gro as a
hydroponic solution. I have a self-watering box planter with snow peas
growing up stair railings. In the spare room (facing north) I'm growing
capsicums, coriander, and flower seedling ready for spring.

gtoomey
Free ASX end of day data www.float.com.au/data

Old 08-07-2003, 05:08 AM
Jane VR

Gen wrote:

Mildew on peas?
I planted sweet peas and telephone peas on March 17th (of course). I
removed them yesterday as
both varieties ( including the pods that had developed) were covered
in a white dust. Would this be mould? At the base of the plants the
leaves were brown, dead and holey.
Any solutions to avoid repeat performance, please ?
(I am in the Northern Rivers area of NSW...subtropical)

It's called powdery mildew. Lots of sun, and air circulation help. You
can sometimes get resistant varieties as well. Regular spraying
(weekly/fortnightly) with wettable sulphur, or milk, or potassium
bicarbonate will also help prevent it. If it's just on the leaves you
can still eat the peas, but you won't get as many.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:39 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Gregory Toomey" wrote in message
news
"Gen" wrote in message
m...
[...]

How would growing hydroponically deal with the issue of mildew?

David

Old 10-07-2003, 08:08 AM
Gregory Toomey

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
u...

How would growing hydroponically deal with the issue of mildew?

David

Its probably caused by too high a humidity. Commercial hydowponic growers
measure humidity directly and will use an exhaust fan or some passive
mechanism to reduce humidity.

If you are worried but excess moisture on the leaves then dont water the
leaves, only water the roots.
Commercial hydropinic production is heading towards nutrient film techniques
(NFT)
http://homeharvest.com/americanhydrocommnft.htm
No soil or other growing medium. Roots are suspended directly in the
nutrient solution. Nutrient solution is pumped regularly over the roots - at
other times no nutrient solution is passed over the roots so the roots can
absorb oxygen/CO2 and reduct root rot.

gtoomey