GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Help with identifying common australian garden plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/38182-help-identifying-common-australian-garden-plants.html)

kathy d 24-07-2003 09:12 PM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

My son is hoping to travel to australia from the UK on a 12 month
working holiday visa this autumn, and hopes to extend his knowledge
and expertise as a professional gardener during his stay. Although he
is qualified and experienced in the UK there will obviously be a great
many plants which will be new to him - can anyone recommend a good
book, organisation or web site preferably well illustrated that he
could study beforehand to help him recognize and learn about the more
common garden plants he might come across - I realise it's a big
country with varying climates - he's hoping to start in Melbourne.
We'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Richard Wright 24-07-2003 10:02 PM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

Kathy:

Presumably you mean "this spring" :-)

There is a series of books by Stirling Macaboy that should help. I
don't know which are in print now but they include "What Flower is
That", "What Shrub is That" and "What Tree is That", "Perennials for
Bed and Border".

Trish Brown 24-07-2003 11:22 PM

Richard Wright wrote:

Kathy:

Presumably you mean "this spring" :-)

There is a series of books by Stirling Macaboy that should help. I
don't know which are in print now but they include "What Flower is
That", "What Shrub is That" and "What Tree is That", "Perennials for
Bed and Border".

Oh yes! I'd echo this recommendation! The Macaboy books are *so* good and
they're not all that expensive, AFAICR. I can't think of another that would give
as good a spread of Oz plants, both native and introduced!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Wanda 25-07-2003 12:32 PM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

"kathy d" wrote in message
om...
My son is hoping to travel to australia from the UK on a 12 month
working holiday visa this autumn, and hopes to extend his knowledge
and expertise as a professional gardener during his stay. Although he
is qualified and experienced in the UK there will obviously be a great
many plants which will be new to him - can anyone recommend a good
book, organisation or web site preferably well illustrated that he
could study beforehand to help him recognize and learn about the more
common garden plants he might come across - I realise it's a big
country with varying climates - he's hoping to start in Melbourne.
We'd be very grateful for any pointers.

He's got to try WWOOFing then! WWOOF is an abbreviation for the organisation
Willing Workers on Organic Farms & by all accounts is the best way for
backpackers & travellers in general to learn about gardening, farming as
well as meeting a wide range of people. Take a look at
http://www.wwoof.com.au/

Wallaby 25-07-2003 01:32 PM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

Kathy the link below is the 'Bible' of Australian plants. I don't think any
country in the world has a 'web-site' dedicated to their own flora as
Australia has. This is a Mecca for ALL information; if he can't find an
answer he can email the 'forum' and get ready responses,
Good luck, Regards Peter
http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/

om...

paxwax 29-07-2003 08:12 AM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

I find this a useful site. It might help you. Good luck.

om...

Richard Wright 31-07-2003 09:27 PM

Help with identifying common australian garden plants

That's a fantastic site. Thanks for telling us.

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:04:51 +1000, "paxwax"
wrote:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pfaf/D_search.html

I find this a useful site. It might help you. Good luck.

. com...