Old 27-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Wanda

Default How much do you feed your dogs?

Yesterday some people I was walking with down the park asked how much I feed
my very active five year old bully/blue heeler/ kelpie X Maizie & were
shocked at my answer. I give her a cup of dried biscuits & a table spoon of
canned food a day, both high energy food. She seems to be thriving on this
amount, gaining a couple of Kg each time I weigh her at the vets every three
months or so. Last time I weighed her, a couple of weeks ago she was 21Kg.

Admittedly Maiz does have a bad habit of raiding the pantry & bins as well
as being a doggy vacuum cleaner down the park, but I think she would do that
regardless of how much I fed her. The vet says she looks good, just the
right weight for her size & age, but atleast a couple of people down the
park have made remarks about her looking podgy... infact the people who were
shocked about how little I feed her all have podgy dogs, so maybe I
shouldn't worry about it Regardless, I might try leaving a cup of
biscuits for her in the morning as well as her usual amount for dinner...

Old 27-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Leanne

Thats ok... you have got me thinking now.

My little dog seems to eat different amounts each day... so I am of no help
but its an interesting question.

"Wanda" wrote in message
news
Bugger! Wrong group. Sorry.

Old 27-07-2003, 10:32 PM
SG1

Our 2 get dry stuff, boiled vegie peels, bones and the trimmings off the
meats we use. The larger 3 1/2 yo Blue Cattle Dog gets a small saucepan of
dry stuff about 36 hourly and the 2 1/2yo Cattledog Kelpie X (never have a
Xbred again) gets 3/4 that as she has a smaller frame.
They love the vegies (comes out a saucepan so it must be human food).
Jess the older tends to run to fat but we burn it off in the summer when my
wife is more active (on the exercise front). Ribs covered in winter showing
in summer. Both are desexed NO not the wife.
Jim
I don't mind the odd X post

Old 27-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Jade Blackbourne

We'Ve had several kelpy cattle crosses, and loved them to bits.... what are
your reasons for not wanting another?
Sometimes (alot of the time) the bitsas are the most intelligent animals.

Jade.

Old 28-07-2003, 10:25 PM
SG1

Incessant yapping. barks at the wind change. has great imagination and barks
at that.
The cattledog is quiet only barks at bikes & strollers and people coming
into the yard. Very protective of the wife, was going to have the 2m tall
local cop until I stopped her.
I think it is the kelpie part.
Jim

u...

Old 29-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Jade Blackbourne

Are you out in the country, or atleast on acreage?
That is where the working dogs belong. We never had any trouble out of ours,
and we've always had cattle, or kelpie cattle crosses.
Jade.

Old 29-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Wanda

Problems like that are usually due to boredom or training issues. The best
way to deal with it seems to be to reward the dog with lots of attention &
treats when it's being quiet, although some have suggested that the collars
that spray citronella at the dog when it barks to be good.

My mix also barks, but only if there's someone at the door or if she's
trying to incite a game, usually with a ball stuffed in her mouth, with her
mates down the park.

Old 29-07-2003, 10:44 PM
SG1

We have 4 blocks (1 acre) in a you don't have to blink to miss small town
500ks west of Brissy. Both dogs are on a run 5 metre chain sliding on a 20
metre wire, so they have plenty of territory to patrol.
BTW as this is a gardening group
The caulies are doing really well and we should start eating them in the
next week. Brocolloi some picked already, peas and broad beans in flower.
Last years capsicum & chillis are still producing and the self sown (red)
silverbeet is doing well.