GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dragon fruit (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/39517-dragon-fruit.html)

tosh 06-08-2003 01:12 AM

Dragon fruit

Last week I bought the most bizarre fruit I have ever seen, a Dragon
Fruit. Red, ovaloid, and with strange green flaps on it, it is a deep
burgundy inside filled with tiny black seeds. Visually stunning, but
unfortunately not big on taste. I think it would be very good in a
fruit salad, or as part of a fruit platter.

Anyway, my taste for the unusual compells me to ask - how hard would
it be to grow one (I live in Melbourne). I saw a picture of the
plant, and it looks very strange indeed. If at all feasible, it would
certainly make a good addition to my garden.

Tom.

ling 06-08-2003 11:18 PM

Dragon fruit

It is called red pitaya (hylocereous undatus) fruit, a cactus member. The
yellow variety tastes better.
It is a tropircal to semi-tropical plant. You can try to grow on the sunny
side in Melbourne with the seeds from the fruits. Also, pollination is a
problem as the flowers only bloom from 4am to 6am in the morning when all
the
brids and bees are still asleep.

I have both varieties growing unloved (I hate thorns) in my garden.