GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   roses (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/40392-roses.html)

cherylle 14-08-2003 11:12 AM

roses

I have been trying to grow roses in Brisbane for some time, but find
the humidity a problem, e.g., blackspot etc. Does anyone have any
suggestions re the best spray to use, etc. Also, when is the best
time to prune roses and should I prune standard roses?

Chookie 14-08-2003 01:32 PM

roses

In article ,
(cherylle) wrote:

I have been trying to grow roses in Brisbane for some time, but find
the humidity a problem, e.g., blackspot etc. Does anyone have any
suggestions re the best spray to use, etc. Also, when is the best
time to prune roses and should I prune standard roses?

There are some varieties of rose that are less prone to black spot in humid
climates, so I hope you are growing them, otherwise the black spot will always
win.

WRT pruning -- pruning is done in July in Sydney, when the roses are closest
to dormant. Of course, this isn't strictly necessary; just that you don't
lose so many flowers if you prune in winter. Any rose book should tell you
how to prune standards -- try the library.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Tricia 14-08-2003 03:03 PM

roses

cherylle wrote:
:: I have been trying to grow roses in Brisbane for some time, but find
:: the humidity a problem, e.g., blackspot etc. Does anyone have any
:: suggestions re the best spray to use, etc. Also, when is the best
:: time to prune roses and should I prune standard roses?

July is the best time to prune, yes you can prune standard roses, just don't
prune past the graft. You are meant to go for a "vase" look but I just prune
heavily all over, sort of the brutal approach

--
Tricia

Red 15-08-2003 09:12 AM

roses

On 14 Aug 2003 03:11:16 -0700, (cherylle) wrote:

I have been trying to grow roses in Brisbane for some time, but find
the humidity a problem, e.g., blackspot etc. Does anyone have any
suggestions re the best spray to use, etc. Also, when is the best
time to prune roses and should I prune standard roses?

I have uploaded a few pages that might help you.

I know it hepled me.

I hope it helps you.

Look at them here
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~softfix/roses

Sorry about the quality, had to keep the size down.

Cheers
Red :-)

Bushy 17-08-2003 09:45 AM

roses

but I just prune heavily all over, sort of the brutal approach
Tricia

I just fire up the chainsaw for mine, one of those alpha male things!

Peter

Cherylle 18-08-2003 01:12 AM

roses

I have uploaded a few pages that might help you.

I know it hepled me.

I hope it helps you.

Look at them here
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~softfix/roses

Sorry about the quality, had to keep the size down.

Thanks

they were a great help.