Old 17-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Wanda

Default Preparing Seeds for Sowing

Hi

I've decided to plant some Sugar Snap seeds taken from peas taken from my
father's garden after unsuccessfully trying to find seeds for sale. Is there
a particular way to prepare the seeds for planting? I was going to place
them on a papertowel in a window facing north that receives a fair amount of
direct sunlight... Is this the way to do it?

Wanda

Old 18-08-2003, 01:32 PM
Loosecannon

Hi Wanda,

Have grown these for the past 3 years and get a bumper crop each time.

Method I use is to chip the seeds. Just a gentle rub with sandpaper. This is
not entirely necessary though. Place
them in water overnight and plant them in the morning. Seeds will swell up
overnight.

5 - 10 days and they are up. Don't overwater in this time or the seeds will
rot. Be aware the peas can grow to 12 feet if
allowed so some sort of trellis is required.

Good luck

Richard

news

Old 18-08-2003, 02:22 PM
Wanda

Thanks for your response. Do you allow the seeds to dry out after collecting
& before planting them? If so how do you go about drying them?
Also where did you get your seeds from??

. au...

Old 19-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Loosecannon

Hi Wanda,

I haven't tried collecting the seed as I had a huge packet to get through.
If they are anything like beans let them mature and dry out completely. Dust
with sulphur in a jar and store in the fridge for next year.

Oh and watch out for rats they love peas!

Cheers

Richard

"Wanda" wrote in message
news
Hi

I've decided to plant some Sugar Snap seeds taken from peas taken from

my
father's garden after unsuccessfully trying to find seeds for sale. Is

there
a particular way to prepare the seeds for planting? I was going to

place
them on a papertowel in a window facing north that receives a fair

amount
of
direct sunlight... Is this the way to do it?

Wanda

Sowing cranberry seeds Jaques d'Alltrades United Kingdom 5 03-11-2005 06:20 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seeds Shepherd Gardening 1 20-10-2003 03:02 PM
Sowing sweet pea seeds now MCC United Kingdom 9 02-10-2003 08:02 PM
Sowing seeds in autumn without a greenhouse Lorna United Kingdom 2 01-10-2003 08:22 AM