GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Killing possums? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/40719-killing-possums.html)

Roger Riordan 18-08-2003 05:50 AM

Killing possums?

we live in Victoria, and, last I heard possums were a protected species, and
there was a $5,000 fine for killing the little dears. But my wife was listening
to Dr Hugh Worth yesterday, and thought that he told a listener that if they
caught a pesky possum, they could either move it to a location not more than 50
metres away from where they caught it, or they could take it to the Vet and have
it euthanased at their own expense. Has the law been changed?

Roger Riordan AM

len brauer 18-08-2003 08:17 AM

Killing possums?

g'day roger,

that's an interesting one, don't reckon the law has been changed you
get wildlife officers to trap and relocate but as for killing any
protected critters dunno sounds dodgy to me. like i have heard you
can't have any part of a protected critter in your possession.

we live in rural and snakes are part of life but as far as the law
goes they can't be killed.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Melissa Ollett 18-08-2003 12:25 PM

Killing possums?

In article ,
says...
g'day roger,

that's an interesting one, don't reckon the law has been changed you
get wildlife officers to trap and relocate but as for killing any
protected critters dunno sounds dodgy to me. like i have heard you
can't have any part of a protected critter in your possession.

we live in rural and snakes are part of life but as far as the law
goes they can't be killed.

len

snipped

I was talking to a friend who keeps many native protected animals. She
was telling me that (here in SA at least) the brush tailed possum is no
longer a protected species.

I would assume she knows what she's talking about, since she is licensed
to keep native animals. Still, I would check it out further before
actually euthansing one.

--
Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid to avoid spammers.

Graham Feeley 27-08-2003 02:27 AM

Killing possums?

Well I have a pesky possum as well as rats so I called in the pest man told
me that he can not lay rat bait in case he killed the possum.
He said he could go to jail for that (Qld) so now they have to catch the
possum first and let it go in the same area ( my backyard).
and I have to patch the entrance up so he cant get back in.
So i am in limbo at the moment.
Grah

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

MPA 27-08-2003 05:34 AM

Killing possums?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:19:56 +1000, "Graham Feeley"
wrote:

Well I have a pesky possum as well as rats so I called in the pest man told
me that he can not lay rat bait in case he killed the possum.
He said he could go to jail for that (Qld) so now they have to catch the
possum first and let it go in the same area ( my backyard).
and I have to patch the entrance up so he cant get back in.
So i am in limbo at the moment.
Grah

Kill it, bury it.
It is vermon and parsite enfested like roos and a health risk to
humans.

Possums are not endangered they live in nearly every home in Australia
and there is NO shortage of them, there is an Excess of them.
The over flow of them is causing headaches for power companies and
thats not all, ask any lineman they wil tell you about the possum
plague..
All these neo fundies that save the trees in the middle of concrete
suburbia, trying to mimick bushland they dont have the guts to go and
live in, have set the stage for a possum plague and we have one
already here in Melb.

Kiws are not fooling themselves about Possums.
In new zealand they kill them and mix the fur with Marino wool and its
called Porino, makes the warmest socks youve ever owned.

len brauer 27-08-2003 09:12 AM

Killing possums?

mm fairly cavalier type response, the epa aren't concerened whether an
animal is in short supply or over supply the simple rule is all native
species are protected.

now the possum in new zealand is the possum introduced from here,
there it is a pest and a ferrel so it is not protected and under those
conditions should be culled or eliminated like we would like to do
with the many ferel species that inhabit australia.

and of course we humans can possum proof our homes or at the very
least make it harder for them to have much of an impact. if you can
identify the route the possum takes to get onto your house then close
that route off you will have gone most of the way to solving your
problem i would presume.

give it a go

len

snipped

Jock 28-08-2003 03:33 AM

Killing possums?

I agree with Len. Live with the possum. Be happy it's not a cat.
Jock
"len brauer" wrote in message
[...]

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

MPA 28-08-2003 08:04 AM

Killing possums?

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:03:34 +1000, len brauer
wrote:

mm fairly cavalier type response, the epa aren't concerened whether an
animal is in short supply or over supply the simple rule is all native
species are protected.

Rubbish
Kangaroos are vermin and shot in large numbers for the damage they
cause and disease they carry, they are parasite infested and a serious
health risk to humans.
It is comon knowledge a roo shooter needs to disinfect his gear that
has come intpo contact with Roos.
They have no mating season and mate all year round, the male detects
the hormone levels by taking a shower on the face under the urinating
female, he does this for the whole gang till he finds a ripe one.
Not only are the ridden with things that are not kind to humans they
are bloody dangerous.
Ask the US tourist less one testicle from a tame one in a wildlife
park some time back how he feels about cute and cuddly furry aussie
critters.

You people who would have these creatures scurrying around in the
middle of inhabited suburbia are in utter la la land and need a
serious reality check.

now the possum in new zealand is the possum introduced from here,
there it is a pest and a ferrel so it is not protected and under those
conditions should be culled or eliminated like we would like to do
with the many ferel species that inhabit australia.

And you dont even consider why the are a pest in NZ, they dont drop in
to your house to use the bathroom to wash theire paws before dinner,
they drop into your house to **** on it and shit on it which will all
wash down on your belongings inivitably leaving your house smelling
like some mad old woman with 40 cats.

and of course we humans can possum proof our homes

Simply erdicate large number of possums for suburbia and limit them to
the bush and there is more bush in this country thasn inhabuited land
by a large percentage.
We dont have to have them eveywhere, nor in every suburban back yard,
they are vermin no different to the Kangaroo.

or at the very
least make it harder for them to have much of an impact. if you can
identify the route the possum takes to get onto your house then close
that route off you will have gone most of the way to solving your
problem i would presume.

That is crap.
You would have to fence of the entire perimeter of the property to
stop them dropping in and that is just utter nonsense
We have a rabbit fence in the bush, we dont need a flamin possum fence
around every house in suburbia.

give it a go

Utter nonsense.

Andy 28-08-2003 11:02 AM

Killing possums?

"Jock" wrote in message
Smells more of Troll than Possum IMHO..
Jock

No it doesn't.
It's just the new mentality that you cannot disturb any little creatures or
upset their their habitat. Stuff the humans. Animals have more rights.

MPA 28-08-2003 03:02 PM

Killing possums?

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:24:27 GMT, "Jock"
wrote:

Smells more of Troll than Possum IMHO..

Oh shit yeah
It is so obvious in my posts here that I must in fact I really love
possums and was just stopping you all from talking utter drivel about
them as if they where a domesticated pet, and not a health risk to
human habitants we know they are.

In the absence of nothing topical to add to this thread, by example
you are in fact the Troll here Wally.

Jock 29-08-2003 04:23 AM

Killing possums?

wrote:

Smells more of Troll than Possum IMHO..

Oh shit yeah
It is so obvious in my posts here that I must in fact I really love
possums and was just stopping you all from talking utter drivel about
them as if they where a domesticated pet, and not a health risk to
human habitants we know they are.

In the absence of nothing topical to add to this thread, by example
you are in fact the Troll here Wally.

Wally is not my name, Troll is not my game though you I see you like to
play.

I think Possums stink, they are messy and a pain in the arse. However, I do
not see the sense in having a personal grief session over them living in
their country of origin or not. We had them in our roof, they were long
term residents due to a dodgy guttering job done b4 we had the place. The
super 6 sheeting had vermin excluders at the eaves but the gutter bloke
smashed them out (asbestos fibro!) so he could mount a deep profile
guttering. Problem was a Great Dane almost fitted in the gap between the
gutter & the roof sheeting. Possums were there longer than 10 years I
reckon and the ceiling was a stinking mess. After numerous confrontations
with them, we trapped & relocated them. We then cleaned out and replaced
the roof, guttering and insulation so now it smells a little like sheep
instead because of the insulation we have used. Not that bad - I reckon a
Kiwi would have trouble containing himself :P.

I see on the news those lab rats in NZ want to release a bio control worm or
similar to sterilise all the feral possums they have. I don't see that as a
good thing. They need to either trap and kill or shoot them if they are
serious about eradication. All it takes is this bioworm to jump the ditch
by some (whatever) means and we have all sorts of furry animals in Oz that
may suffer the same neutering by no intention of NZ but by their actions
none the less.
=end rant/.
Jock