Old 20-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Spidah

Default Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer?

"Kereru" wrote in message

"lumberjack" wrote in message
om...
Thought the following news item might be of interest ...

Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer

The white-tail spider, whose bite has been blamed for cases of
flesh-eating ulcers for decades, has been declared innocent following
methodical Australian research.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s926733.htm

Now I feel guilty, I have killed about 100 of the wee critters lately,

seems
it was unjustified.

I could be had up for arachnicide, hell.

Judy

And so you should be

Spidah /\(**)/\

Old 21-08-2003, 12:03 AM
John

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article 3f4236da$0$23584$5a62ac22
@freenews.iinet.net.au, says...
Another tragic example of the
dangers of the death penalty.

Oh I'm sure the spiders were guilty of something. :P
--

Yes, their eyes are too close together. Some of them, at least.

Old 21-08-2003, 12:32 AM
interested party

"YnoT" wrote in message
. au...
"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Damnit. I just killed a white-tail not long ago. I don't like killing
animals that I'm not goingn to eat or that do not pose a threat to me

:-(

Imagine how many totally innocent white-tails have been summarily executed
on the basis of the original bad science. Another tragic example of the
dangers of the death penalty.

Tony

I feel so guilty now. But hey, I like your post path. Thnx 4 that

Old 21-08-2003, 10:32 AM
Brian Dooley

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:32:32 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Kereru" wrote in message

"lumberjack" wrote in message
om...
Thought the following news item might be of interest ...

Spider cleared of causing flesh-eating ulcer

The white-tail spider, whose bite has been blamed for cases of
flesh-eating ulcers for decades, has been declared innocent following
methodical Australian research.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s926733.htm

Now I feel guilty, I have killed about 100 of the wee critters lately,

seems
it was unjustified.

I could be had up for arachnicide, hell.

Judy

The female of the species is more deadly than the male. - Old Jungle Saying

But Kipling thought of it first.

--
Brian Dooley

Wellington New Zealand
Old 21-08-2003, 11:22 AM
rapdor

Oh I'm sure the spiders were guilty of something. :P
--

Yes, their eyes are too close together. Some of them, at least.

And too far apart on the other buggers.

Old 22-08-2003, 07:12 PM
Perun

The white-tail spider, whose bite has been blamed for cases of
flesh-eating ulcers for decades, has been declared innocent following
methodical Australian research.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s926733.htm

Eh.. I will never go to Australia cuz you have the most ugly and scary
spiders I've ever seen ;-P

P.

Old 22-08-2003, 11:12 PM
jg

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Have you never performed the Dance of Fear and Loathing
as you frantically slapped at your body and bellowed
'Where'sthespider?Where'sthespider?Where'sthespide r?' to any and all

onlookers?

....all onlookers? - they're releasing 'em in your garage, T, bringing
deckchairs just to watch the show

Old 24-08-2003, 02:42 AM
donald j haarmann

"jg"

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Have you never performed the Dance of Fear and Loathing
as you frantically slapped at your body and bellowed
'Where'sthespider?Where'sthespider?Where'sthespide r?' to any and all

onlookers?

...all onlookers? - they're releasing 'em in your garage, T, bringing
deckchairs just to watch the show

---------
Your toooooooooooo late.
The "Tarantella" goes back to 1374! If not earlier.

http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3tartla.htm

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious

Old 24-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Tlacatecatl

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 2:50:00 -0700, Trish Brown wrote:

Quite frankly, I think the White-tailed Spider was only ever an imagined
threat
compared to the very clear and present danger of those blasted Garden Orb
Weavers! They incorporate steel cable into their webs (could only come from a
regular diet of pig-iron, I tell you!) and the sensation of being caught in
one
which has been knitted across one's carport is beyond frightening!

I believe the psychological damage that arises from capture by the Garden Orb
Weaver *far* outstrips any piddling necrotising ulceration of the flesh
caused
by White Tailed Spiders! Have you never performed the Dance of Fear and
Loathing
as you frantically slapped at your body and bellowed
'Where'sthespider?Where'sthespider?Where'sthespide r?' to any and all
onlookers?

One of the most delightful posts I've read in a while, thanks.

Tlacatecatl Tlacaxipe

Old 24-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Trish Brown

donald j haarmann wrote:

"jg"

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
Have you never performed the Dance of Fear and Loathing
as you frantically slapped at your body and bellowed
'Where'sthespider?Where'sthespider?Where'sthespide r?' to any and all

onlookers?

...all onlookers? - they're releasing 'em in your garage, T, bringing
deckchairs just to watch the show

---------
Your toooooooooooo late.
The "Tarantella" goes back to 1374! If not earlier.

http://www.streetswing.com/histmain/z3tartla.htm

--
donald j haarmann - independently dubious

Well, IMHO, we here in Oz ought to instigate an Eriophorella in honour of that
deadly and dangerous foe, the Garden Orb Weaver. I reckon Tarantulas have
*nuthin'* on the cold, vicelike constriction felt around the heart of an
_Eriophora_ victim as s/he realises the inexorability of being confronted by the
owner of the web that just stuck fast in their face and hair! Be dubious no
longer! The cardiac complications of Intimate Contact with a Garden Orb Weaver
have to be experienced to be believed!

You *must* concede the point here! When have you *ever* walked innocently into
an _Eriophora_ web and -

- walked calmly out again?

Ppbblfft! Do you *really* want me to believe you weren't suddenly afflicted by a
compulsion to dance and flap your arms about? To kick your legs up and stomp
your feet? To whirl about, shaking and waving?

Just because it's older, doesn't mean the Tarantella is any more indicative of
Tarantular Deadliness than an Eriophorella might be of Orb Weaver Worry!

Even the Sydney Funnel Web pales in comparison, I feel! When you have eyeball to
eyeballs contact with a Funnel Web in your garden, you know perfectly well what
you're faced with. Times eight! You evacuate forthwith and then you leave the
vicinity.

Walk into an Orb Weaver web and it's the Unknown that undoes one. Who knows
where the spider is? Could be in your hair. Could be in your ear. Could be in
the bush/tree/post from which the web was strung. Who knows? Could be walking up
your leg with designs on biting a hunk out of your - er - body. Are you
complacent enough, indeed sanguine enough to just *stand* there and *not* do the
Dance of Fear and Loathing?

I rest my case!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. Seriously, though. It really *ought* to be called an Eriophorella - it's a
perfect description of what one does! ;-D

Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 PM
jg

donald j haarmann wrote:

[...]

It's not your fear (which I share), it's the wonderfully colourful
description which promises a hugely entertaining spectacle.

Old 30-08-2003, 02:12 AM
John Savage

"John" writes:
Yes, their eyes are too close together. Some of them, at least.

I always give a spider the benefit of the doubt. I won't kill one unless
it's of a really dangerous species. You just count their legs--the
dangerous ones have eight.

Old 30-08-2003, 06:04 AM
Nicolaas Hawkins

On 30 Aug 2003 , John Savage wrote :

"John" writes:
Yes, their eyes are too close together. Some of them, at least.

I always give a spider the benefit of the doubt. I won't kill one unless
it's of a really dangerous species. You just count their legs--the
dangerous ones have eight.

....and even they aren't too dangerous after their thickness has been
reduced to 0.01mm.

--
Nicolaas.

- An optimist is a guy without much experience...
Old 30-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Rod Out back

Anyone here get Imparja television(satellite TV)? They have a mascot named
Yamba; the honey ant.

Well, if watch him doing his "kids go to bed now" session at 8pm, and you
count the number of legs, Yamba is obviously a freaking spider!!! And a big
sucker at that....

It scares me that no-one seems to notice.....sigh.

Cheers,

Rod... Out Back
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Old 03-09-2003, 11:02 AM
decom

Yep, eight legs alright... doesn't look to dangerous though ;-)

http://www.imparja.com.au/yamba.htm

With that expression, it looks like the only danger he presents is to
himself.