Old 20-08-2003, 06:22 AM
Roo

Default Fertilizer for Grevillea????

Hi,
I have a Robyn Gordon which looks a bit under nourished after winter.
What is the best to give it, as I know they are particular. It is about 2
years old, we live in Western Australia and wonder what the correct
watering should be thru summer as I know they dont like wet feet.
It's about 2 metres high and a bit straggly.
Thanks Roo

Old 20-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Roo" wrote:

I have a Robyn Gordon which looks a bit under nourished after winter.
What is the best to give it, as I know they are particular. It is about 2
years old, we live in Western Australia and wonder what the correct
watering should be thru summer as I know they dont like wet feet.
It's about 2 metres high and a bit straggly.

Give it a prune so that it looks more presentable (after a flower flush is
easiest). You can either give it some blood & bone or Osmocote For Natives
(or similar).

Wear gloves and a long-sleeved shirt when pruning -- you can become allergic
to the sap. I have seen pictures of the result: severe contact dermatitis.
Looks very nasty.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 21-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Jane VR

Roo wrote:

Hi,
I have a Robyn Gordon which looks a bit under nourished after winter.
What is the best to give it, as I know they are particular. It is about 2
years old, we live in Western Australia and wonder what the correct
watering should be thru summer as I know they dont like wet feet.
It's about 2 metres high and a bit straggly.
Thanks Roo

Is your soil sandy? They need good drainage rather than being kept short
of water. Since it varies so much according to weather and soil type
it's best to check the soil every few days and see if it needs more
water or not. Or keep an eye on another plant nearby that shows water
stress a bit more obviously than the grevillea.

Prune it, too, to encourage bushiness (after flowering is good).

For fertiliser, the P in the NPK ratio should be about 1 or 2 (or less).
It's often printed on the side of the bag. Compost should be pretty safe.

Jane

Old 21-08-2003, 08:02 AM
alwynne mackie

Natives generally prefer a fertilizer which is low in Phosphorus. Osmocote
have one specially for natives, but if you are doing a large area, that may
get a bit expensive. There are probably cheaper options, but I'm afraid I
don't know them.
Cheers,
Alwynne