Old 20-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Peter Berrett

Default Grafting Oranges onto my Lemon Tree ???

Hi all

I have a well established lemon tree. I don;t know what variety it is but it
sure produces lots of lemons.

I also have a small orange tree - its a Washington Navel. I can take buds or
cuttings off that.

My question is whether it is possible to graft or bud oranges onto my lemon
tree. Has anyone done this? What time of year should I bud or graft? Any
tips?

By the way I am in Melbourne, Victoria.

Thanks Peter

---

Old 20-08-2003, 11:42 AM
rapdor

It would probably be best to wait until the weather is a bit warmer, but it
really depends on when the budwood is available on the orange tree. There
is an abundance of good advice available on the web regarding how and when
to graft. Just do a search and you will certainly find the specific
grafting info you are seeking.

u...

Old 26-08-2003, 04:03 PM
Terry Collins

.....snip.......

My question is whether it is possible to graft or bud oranges onto my lemon
tree.

It is my understanding that all the citrus trees you buy are actually
lemon, orange, lime, etc grafted onto some other citrus stock.

At one stage it was common lemon stock as that had the best root growth.

You can check this out by looking at availabe stock on sale and see how
it has bumps in the stem/trunk.
Old 27-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Wanda

There are trees available with various types of citrus grafted onto the one
root stock, so it's obviously possible. My mother did something similar when
the branch of her grapefruit was snapped right off. She bound the two parts
together tightly with an old stocking & left it for a month or so.