GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what eats my rock orchids? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/42077-what-eats-my-rock-orchids.html)

Richard Wright 04-09-2003 01:02 AM

what eats my rock orchids?

Something eats the stems of my rock orchids (Dendrobium speciosum) in
my Sydney garden.

What happens is that the outer sheath of the flowering stem is eaten
off, so the whole flowering spray withers.

I have never caught anything at it, but I suspect snails or slugs.

My neighbour never gets the problem. I get it every year.

Any suggestions about the culprit?

Trish Brown 04-09-2003 02:02 AM

what eats my rock orchids?

Richard Wright wrote:

Something eats the stems of my rock orchids (Dendrobium speciosum) in
my Sydney garden.

What happens is that the outer sheath of the flowering stem is eaten
off, so the whole flowering spray withers.

I have never caught anything at it, but I suspect snails or slugs.

My neighbour never gets the problem. I get it every year.

Any suggestions about the culprit?

I've caught snails and slugs doing exactly that to my D.speciosum! I hate laying
snail bait because of the Blue Tongues, but can only suggest you make some kind
of netting cover for the flower spikes to protect them, at least until the buds
open. I've often wondered whether you could place the pot on a brick or
something in a container of vinegar - *surely* that would deter snails and
slugs...?

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

len brauer 04-09-2003 03:43 AM

what eats my rock orchids?

g'day richard,

most likely snails, also look for dendrobium beetles.

for the snails if they are crawling up to the plants then place beer
traps around the base of where the plants are. also something new a
dose of strong made instant coffee sprayed onto the plants is the
latest in snail deterring methods, supposed to kill them

or do a night time torch safari and pick them.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/

Jock 04-09-2003 04:02 AM

what eats my rock orchids?

I just noticed the same on my native king orchid. Might have a go at
wrapping the stalk in gauze or similar.
Jock