GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Giant Tomato Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/42078-giant-tomato-tree.html)

Norman 04-09-2003 12:02 AM

Giant Tomato Tree

I wish to ask your advice. In the current issue of "That's Life" on page 18,
there is an advert for a "Giant Tree Tomato" . I think its for seeds only.
Its got a cartoon type picture of a tree shaped bush covered in tomatoes
which it says weigh from 500 grams to 1 kg each. It says the bush grows to
approx 9 feet.

The price for 2 seeds is $9.90 plus $3.50 for postage and handling, and for
6 seeds $21.90 plus postage and handling.

I am interested in your opinion of the value of this offer.

GreenieLeBrun 05-09-2003 12:08 AM

Giant Tomato Tree

"Norman" wrote in message ...
I wish to ask your advice. In the current issue of "That's Life" on page 18,
there is an advert for a "Giant Tree Tomato" . I think its for seeds only.
Its got a cartoon type picture of a tree shaped bush covered in tomatoes
which it says weigh from 500 grams to 1 kg each. It says the bush grows to
approx 9 feet.

The price for 2 seeds is $9.90 plus $3.50 for postage and handling, and for
6 seeds $21.90 plus postage and handling.

I am interested in your opinion of the value of this offer.

I have not seen the ad you are talking about but I believe your
"Tomato Tree" is in actual fact a Tree Tomato or Tamarillo
(Cyphomandra betacea). It is a South American native and in the same
family (Solanaceae) as tomatoes and potatoes etc.
Do a Google search for more info.

Jane VR 05-09-2003 07:18 AM

Giant Tomato Tree

Norman wrote:
I wish to ask your advice. In the current issue of "That's Life" on page 18,
there is an advert for a "Giant Tree Tomato" . I think its for seeds only.
Its got a cartoon type picture of a tree shaped bush covered in tomatoes
which it says weigh from 500 grams to 1 kg each. It says the bush grows to
approx 9 feet.

The price for 2 seeds is $9.90 plus $3.50 for postage and handling, and for
6 seeds $21.90 plus postage and handling.

I am interested in your opinion of the value of this offer.

I don't know facts about it, but my gut feeling is there's something
wrong. I think the stems would break under the weight, for starters. And
a punnet of tomatoes from the nursery, looked after properly, will give
you more tomatoes than you can eat anyway.

As someone else said, it could be a tree tomato. I've never seen the
fruit anywhere near that size, but 3m sounds right for the bush. They
take a bit longer than tomaotes from seed, about 18 months. They don't
taste anything like tomatoes. Eden Seeds sells a packet of 35 seeds for
$2.50.

HTH
jane

Norman 05-09-2003 07:34 AM

Giant Tomato Tree

Thanks Jane for your kind reply. What you say certainly makes sense.

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to write. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Norman

"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...

len brauer 05-09-2003 09:14 AM

Giant Tomato Tree

g'day norman,

we meet again hey?

don't think they are talking about a tree tomato as far as i know they
may grow to that height but the fruit doesn't get to that size.

but like jane says you can get tree tomato seeds very cheap and a
punnet of ox heart tomatoes from most nurseries for around 3 bucks,
they are a large tomato getting to almost 6"s across in ideal
conditions and very tasty one of my favourites.

go to eden seeds online they will send you a catalogue free, they have
many varieties of tomatoes far cheaper per seed than that ad.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening