Old 05-09-2003, 01:16 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Birds nest fern immersion?

I have a large birds nest fern (Asplenium nidus I think) which I am
moving to a new property. The proposed new location is near a river
bank. This river floods from time to time. In a big flood the site
will go under water, local knowledge cannot say accurately how ofen this
will happen or how long the water will stay up in such a flood. At a
guess every 5 years and for about 2-3 days. The site will not be
subject to physical damage from the current or floating logs. I am
trying to assess whether this site is a reasonable risk or not.

My question is how long will the fern survive if immersed?

David

Old 06-09-2003, 03:23 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Simon" wrote in message news:3f5858be@news1...
Is it salt water or fresh water?

Fresh

Old 06-09-2003, 03:24 AM
David Hare-Scott

Old 06-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Jane VR

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I have a large birds nest fern (Asplenium nidus I think) which I am
moving to a new property. The proposed new location is near a river
bank. This river floods from time to time. In a big flood the site
will go under water, local knowledge cannot say accurately how ofen this
will happen or how long the water will stay up in such a flood. At a
guess every 5 years and for about 2-3 days. The site will not be
subject to physical damage from the current or floating logs. I am
trying to assess whether this site is a reasonable risk or not.

My question is how long will the fern survive if immersed?

David

From a quick Google - a few sites say that immersion for 'just a few
days' is enough to kill an average plant.

Jane

Old 06-09-2003, 10:22 AM
len brauer

g'day david,

i've been mulling over this one mate, i'd realy hate to suggest one
thing and then have quiet the opposite happen especially if the fern
dies. before now i always had heaps of 'nidus' in my gardens and some
realy large ones.

in reality birds nests fern grow up in the trees and on rock edges
where they get heaps of water in the rain forests they prefer but then
they don't get flooded, so they will take a lot of water at the right
time sort of.

now if you had a falsh flood taht didn't deposit a huge amount of
sediment into the plant then it may do quiet well but there are too
many variables, flooded under water with no sediment for a few days is
most likely going to start them rotting, and then if you add sediment
which can be varioable that time could be shortened.

my suggestion keep them just above the flood line for preservation,
they can be mounted into a hollow log that is above the flood or mount
them into the fork of a tree above that level.

hope some of this makes sense and helps.
they won't like having their feet continually wet or saturated unlike
tree ferns. at best i would suggest they would cope with a flash flood
of no more than 24 hours.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://hub.dataline.net.au/~gardnlen/
Old 08-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Chris Owens

David Hare-Scott wrote:

I have a large birds nest fern (Asplenium nidus I think) which I am
moving to a new property. The proposed new location is near a river
bank. This river floods from time to time. In a big flood the site
will go under water, local knowledge cannot say accurately how ofen this
will happen or how long the water will stay up in such a flood. At a
guess every 5 years and for about 2-3 days. The site will not be
subject to physical damage from the current or floating logs. I am
trying to assess whether this site is a reasonable risk or not.

My question is how long will the fern survive if immersed?

David

Probably not several days. Look at the bank where you propose to
plant this fern. How old are most of the plants, and are they
pretty much roots-in-water-tolerant? If it's less than the
timing of the last flood and / or yes, pick another spot for the
fern.

Chris Owens

Old 09-09-2003, 02:18 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Chris Owens" wrote in message
David Hare-Scott wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all those who replied. I have had it for 25 years and I would
hate to lose it. It's over 4m across and pretty well irreplaceable.

The fern is staying put in its current site until I can organise a spot
for it on the new place well above the flood line.

David