Old 05-09-2003, 11:42 AM
Rob

Default Help!!!!! - judging gardens

"Linda" wrote in message
news
Hi Everyone,

In a fit of silliness, I have allowed myself to be talked into judging
the first-ever local garden competition for my town - a town of about
1000 people in south-east Victoria, at the start of December.

The idea is to encourage people to have their gardens looking
wonderful for a large town event - think they chose me to judge to
make sure I cleaned up mine!

THEN they said - now, can you give us the categories, please. And some
guidelines as to what you will be looking for. *gulp* By Tuesday,
please.

I THINK I am going to try and go for trying to define the type of
garden that defines the town - one where alternative energy is valued,
there are lots of mudbricks, and organic people abound. So, I am going
to talk about things like - you won't win if your garden uses heaps of
water and artificial fertiliser (but I will word it nicer than that!).

I will be looking for mulch and compost and veggies and birds and a
range of plants. (I HATE Iceberg roses with clipped box with a passion
I usually only save for gnomes and pampas grass). It would be nice to
find some innovative garden sculpture, and young gardeners (ie kids
under 18, not kids of 80). And gardens that have interest year-round.
And ones that recognise green is a colour.

But I guess what I am really after is gardens that are primarily for
the gardener/s and their family - not to show off to the street.

Anyone got any ideas???? Categories so far may be:

Best Garden
Best Native Garden
Best Activity by a Young Gardener
Best Veggie Garden
Best Original Garden Sculpture
Best Herb Garden
Best New Garden (under 2 years)

Any thoughts welcome. I need Help!!!!!!

Linda
Not saying where I live!

Possibly:

Best small/ town garden
Best large garden
Best water feature/ use of water
Best organic garden

Rob

Old 21-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Chookie

In article ,
Linda wrote:

In a fit of silliness, I have allowed myself to be talked into judging
the first-ever local garden competition for my town - a town of about
1000 people in south-east Victoria, at the start of December.

snip
I THINK I am going to try and go for trying to define the type of
garden that defines the town - one where alternative energy is valued,
there are lots of mudbricks, and organic people abound. So, I am going
to talk about things like - you won't win if your garden uses heaps of
water and artificial fertiliser (but I will word it nicer than that!).

Best Sustainable Garden?

Don't neglect plot size -- Marrickville Council has awards for best large,
medium and small gardens. Also Best Corporate Garden, or something like that
(can't access the site at the moment). Try www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au for
ideas.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990

Judging Orchids HFX guy Orchids 9 25-10-2004 02:23 AM
Judging Orchids Elpaninaro Orchids 3 09-09-2004 06:06 PM
[IBC] Judging Criteria Ken Grady Bonsai 0 06-07-2003 10:08 AM