Old 12-09-2003, 12:20 PM
Nicholas Steel

Default Some kikuyu advise needed

My aim is to plant kikuyu throughout my front garden and Ive been
partially successful.

My method is this - to hack some out of a roadside, roots and all, and
then tranplant said patch in my garden. The piece is generally about
10cm x 10 cm.

I then water it and eventually it spreads. I noticed that when I till
the earth around the planted patch it spreads lightening fast. I have
clay soil which seems to harden when there is no moisture.

I use liquid fertiliser (Miracle Grow - is this any good?)every two
weeks.

Should I till the earth around my patches to encourage growth or will
spiking it with a pitch fork suffice?

What fertilser regime should I adhere to?

Any other tips would be most welcome.

Regards
Old 13-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Rusty Nayles

On 12 Sep 2003 04:13:00 -0700, Nicholas Steel wrote:

My aim is to plant kikuyu throughout my front garden and Ive been
partially successful.

My method is this - to hack some out of a roadside, roots and all, and
then tranplant said patch in my garden. The piece is generally about
10cm x 10 cm.

I then water it and eventually it spreads. I noticed that when I till
the earth around the planted patch it spreads lightening fast. I have
clay soil which seems to harden when there is no moisture.

You could add Gypsum to the clay or dig in some mulch.

I use liquid fertiliser (Miracle Grow - is this any good?)every two
weeks.

I use a liquid fertiliser on my Onopordum acanthiums and with plenty of
water some have achieved over 2 meters in height.

Should I till the earth around my patches to encourage growth or will
spiking it with a pitch fork suffice?

Yeh loosen up the soil to allow the roots to penetrate.
--

Stuart
Old 01-10-2003, 10:13 AM
Bushy

Water and then more water!

At my farm it grows on the lower paddocks where the water table is much
closer to the surface and below the house where the water is run when the
tank overflows when I fill it each week. The uphill side of the house the
kikuyu won't grow.

The showgrounds (like Toowoomba) that use it have plenty of water to keep it
growing and they can then runn horses and everything on it and it grows back
readily.

Peter