Old 13-09-2003, 03:12 AM
jpd1009

Default reviving bufallo grass

I am looking for some advise for a very poor looking buffalo grass lawn.

Lawn is 1 year old, having been rolled out in Sept 2002.

Over winter 2003 there has been heavy rainfall causing the lawn to remain
quite soden throughout the dorment period. In addition there has been lots
of traffic over the whole lawn, the main culprit being my very active 2 year
old son.

The upshot is that the lawn is looking very brown. There is no green leaf on
the runners, however most of them do appear to be healthy. (cutting them
exposes a green core and they are difficult to break by hand.

I have faith that the lawn will start to recover however I want to maximise
it's ability to grow as it is new and the layer of runners is still fairly
thin.

I need some help with a feeding and maintenance program.

Thanks in advance.

-james

Old 13-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Andrew G

"jpd1009" wrote in message
[...]

Don't worry too much, it just needs a feed by the sounds of things.
Get some manure fines. So basically chook poo in powder form, not pellet.
Fertilise the lawn lightly then water in well.
If the soil is clay based a spread of gypsum and water in will help too.
Finally, if the lawn seems compacted try aerating it with a garden fork.
Good luck.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 14-09-2003, 01:08 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , jpd1009 wrote:
I am looking for some advise for a very poor looking buffalo grass lawn.

Lawn is 1 year old, having been rolled out in Sept 2002.

Over winter 2003 there has been heavy rainfall causing the lawn to remain
quite soden throughout the dorment period. In addition there has been lots
of traffic over the whole lawn, the main culprit being my very active 2 year
old son.

The upshot is that the lawn is looking very brown. There is no green leaf on
the runners, however most of them do appear to be healthy. (cutting them
exposes a green core and they are difficult to break by hand.

It should be right, as it's probably just in its dormancy phase. Give
it some slow release fertiliser (Osmocote, worm compost) and a bit of
a top dressing. Aerate the ground with a fork (stick holes in the
ground). Scarify the runners. I would suggest that you think about
how suitable this area is for a lawn though.

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.

Reviving an abused rose Ali Roses 2 14-05-2004 08:03 PM
Reviving Buffalo Grass jpd1009 Australia 0 07-09-2003 06:15 AM
Reviving Buffalo Grass jpd1009 Australia 0 07-09-2003 06:14 AM
Reviving Buffalo Grass jpd1009 Gardening 0 07-09-2003 06:07 AM
reviving my lawn Ian Gardening 2 11-04-2003 06:44 AM