Old 20-09-2003, 01:02 PM
Wanda

Default Mulch

I stopped at a local soil/mulch place this afternoon to look at the prices
of mulch. There were a couple of different types that I liked, one called
Jungle Mulch & another called Black Mulch. There was a young guy serving who
didn't really know his stuff & my questions were responded to with blank
looks. So... does anyone here know if either of these two blow away with a
bit of wind? Also, how much would a trailer load cover? Is anyone here in
Perth & can recommend a good place to buy mulch? The place I stopped at was
called Soils Aint Soils, the trailer load of mulch cost $39 with $30
delivery (!!). Maybe I should hire a ute...

Old 20-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Loosecannon

Hi Wanda,

I always use Soil World in Malaga they have trailers onsite which are free
to use with the mulch you buy. Similar pricing as well for the mulches but
no trailer hire. Wear your daggies and ask for a trade discount, it works
for me.

Trailer loads are 1 cubic metre. Which equates to 10 sq metres at 10 cm
depth. If you wet it down after mulching it shouldn't blow away that much.
But if we have winds again like last night I won't make any promises.

Oh and just as a thought black mulch is that colour because it has been
coloured that way. Not sure how they do it but suspect it is done with
colouring that brickies use to colour mortar. Have got the vegetable soil
mix they have in the past only to watch it turn in to grey sand, as if I
didn't have enough already!lol

Cheers

Richard

Old 20-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Wanda

Soil World... is that the one next to WA Salvage? Or is that the one next to
the paving place? I thought it was Soils Aint Soils, but I could be wrong.
Unfortunately my car doesn't have a tow ball, which is why I started
thinking about hiring a ute, but then i guess it would be cheaper to have it
delivered if I did that. I definitely wouldnt go for the veggie mix, unless
I had a vegie garden built up with railway sleepers or similar.
. au...

Old 21-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Chookie

In article ,
"Wanda" wrote:

I stopped at a local soil/mulch place this afternoon to look at the prices
of mulch. There were a couple of different types that I liked, one called
Jungle Mulch & another called Black Mulch. There was a young guy serving who
didn't really know his stuff & my questions were responded to with blank
looks. So... does anyone here know if either of these two blow away with a
bit of wind? Also, how much would a trailer load cover?

Er, wouldn't that depend on how thick you laid it? Just bought some bales of
compressed pea straw -- the advertising boasted that they would cover 10 sq m.
No depth given, of course...

Is anyone here in Perth & can recommend a good place to buy mulch?

I'm not in Perth, but a bloke at my Council is happy to dump a truckload of
chipped street-tree prunings in my front yard instead of taking it to the
depot. Free. Great for my native and front gardens.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990
Old 22-09-2003, 06:03 AM
ellipsis

In article , Wanda
wrote:

I stopped at a local soil/mulch place this afternoon to look at the prices
of mulch. There were a couple of different types that I liked, one called
Jungle Mulch & another called Black Mulch. There was a young guy serving who
didn't really know his stuff & my questions were responded to with blank
looks. So... does anyone here know if either of these two blow away with a
bit of wind? Also, how much would a trailer load cover? Is anyone here in
Perth & can recommend a good place to buy mulch? The place I stopped at was
called Soils Aint Soils, the trailer load of mulch cost $39 with $30
delivery (!!). Maybe I should hire a ute...

I don't remember if it was the "black mulch" that I put around here,
but it sounds familiar. The stuff was useless. It looked great, but was
mostly shredded bark that had been artificially coloured. It just
matted together and became water repellent. I'd keep well away from it.

On the other hand, have you had a look at http://www.mulchnet.com ? It
is actually based in W.A. and advertises sources of free mulch, manure
and the like. Results seem to vary, some people have registered and
received nothing, but my parents put their names down for free mulch
from their local council (Nedlands in their case) and within a couple
of weeks had a truckload of chipped and shredded tree prunings
delivered to their house. I kid you not, it was about a metre and a
half in height and took up half their front verge. They got some bags
of horse manure and built a couple of huge compost piles, but the mulch
itself did all of their house, all of mine, and was used by many of the
people in their street. A great way of getting to know your neighbours.

To compost/mulch or not to compost/mulch Malcolm United Kingdom 15 03-05-2009 10:19 AM
To Mulch or Not to Mulch Ron H Gardening 6 13-08-2006 10:06 PM
Lawn grass mulch Ann Edible Gardening 4 02-03-2003 07:27 PM
Leaf Mulch Kurt Gardening 8 06-02-2003 11:25 AM
[IBC] mulch as soil Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 1 04-02-2003 02:15 AM