Old 21-09-2003, 08:42 PM
plat4

Default Keeping snakes away

I'm all for balance in nature and preserve the animals and bugs and
serpents and all that crap but I just have too many snakes in my yard. I have
removed by hand ( they're garden snakes) 10 this month alone. They are an
annoyance to my children and visitors and I would like to rid my yard of them.
I tried that "snake away" product and it's totally useless ( Yes I followed the
directions closely). Any other suggestions to rid my yard of these snakes?.
Also, I won't be responding to any posts by those condemning me for wanting my
yard snake-free so don't bother, save your condemnation for someone else.
Sorry, thought I had to mention that after reading some of these threads.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.
Old 21-09-2003, 08:42 PM
plat4

I meant "Garter snakes".
Old 22-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Trish Brown

plat4 wrote:

I'm all for balance in nature and preserve the animals and bugs and
serpents and all that crap but I just have too many snakes in my yard. I have
removed by hand ( they're garden snakes) 10 this month alone. They are an
annoyance to my children and visitors and I would like to rid my yard of them.
I tried that "snake away" product and it's totally useless ( Yes I followed the
directions closely). Any other suggestions to rid my yard of these snakes?.
Also, I won't be responding to any posts by those condemning me for wanting my
yard snake-free so don't bother, save your condemnation for someone else.
Sorry, thought I had to mention that after reading some of these threads.

Thanks in advance for any useful advice.

Erm... 'garden' or 'garter' snakes don't occur here in Oz. I would be *happy* to
swap you snakes, though! I have a Red Bellied Black snake in my garden (a very
handsome fellow, about five feet long) and I live in fear that he might bite my
dog and kill her. Are your garden/garter snakes deadly?

The only thing I've done that works is to use the garden hose on 'jet'. That
will move one snake one time. It's not a solution. I'd be glad to hear of
others, though...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 22-09-2003, 02:36 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Trish Brown" wrote in message
plat4 wrote:

Erm... 'garden' or 'garter' snakes don't occur here in Oz. I would be

*happy* to
swap you snakes, though! I have a Red Bellied Black snake in my garden

(a very
handsome fellow, about five feet long) and I live in fear that he

might bite my
dog and kill her. Are your garden/garter snakes deadly?

The only thing I've done that works is to use the garden hose on

'jet'. That
will move one snake one time. It's not a solution. I'd be glad to hear

of
others, though...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

I am no herpetologist but have you looked at why this snake sticks
around? Do you have a particularly good environment for snakes? Do you
supply their needs for food, water or shelter?

We have them here down by the river, apparently they like creeks, ponds
and canals. I can't change the river (who would want to) so I tell
people to take care walking by it and to give the snake a chance to run
(slither?) away.

Do you have a water source that is attracting it?

See here http://www.wildlife-australia.com/red.htm for some info.

David

Old 22-09-2003, 02:47 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Trish Brown" wrote in message

Erm... 'garden' or 'garter' snakes don't occur here in Oz. I would be

*happy* to
swap you snakes, though! I have a Red Bellied Black snake in my garden

(a very
handsome fellow, about five feet long) and I live in fear that he

might bite my
dog and kill her. Are your garden/garter snakes deadly?

The only thing I've done that works is to use the garden hose on

'jet'. That
will move one snake one time. It's not a solution. I'd be glad to hear

of
others, though...

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

Also

http://www.zoo.org.au/education/Imagedir/snakes.pdf

David

Old 22-09-2003, 03:24 AM
Jock

For land snakes, pour a line of salt around your boundary and outside your
doorways. It must be at least 10mm high. Snakes don't like salt, you never
see any on the beaches so that should prove this theory.
Make sure the salt is fine and not rock salt, the snakes can be injured by
the rock salt.
Jock

Old 22-09-2003, 03:45 AM
len gardener

g'day plat4,

although you've asked the question in an aussie group, in general
snakes will only hang around if you create the right habitat, that is
you have attracted their food source to your garden and your garden
itself makes it a welcome place to be for them eg.,. plenty of
undergrowth and leaves to hide in as well as maybe a water feature a
lot of snakes are attracted to water. and the water feature probably
attracts frogs and native toads (this is all very good for
conservation of species and the amphibians also help control bugs in
the garden) but they are food for a lot of snakes. include rodents in
the above selection as well.

you may get some ideas out of all that, if not you may just have to
learn to live with the issue.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 22-09-2003, 04:52 AM
plat4

Yes I know it's an aussie group. I figured who would know about
snakes more than you guys. If I am not mistaken sometimes Australia is called
the " reptile continent" with not that many species of mammals. Thanks for the
advice btw.

Manos

Old 22-09-2003, 05:49 AM
Anthony (Tony) Cameron

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:20:03 GMT, "Jock"
wrote:

For land snakes, pour a line of salt around your boundary and outside your
doorways. It must be at least 10mm high. Snakes don't like salt, you never
see any on the beaches so that should prove this theory.
Make sure the salt is fine and not rock salt, the snakes can be injured by
the rock salt.
Jock

I think that might be an old wive's tale. As a child I used to catch
snakes on Central and North Coast beaches. Mostly carpet snakes
(pythons) but they certainly spent a lot of time sunning themselves
around beach areas. Currently I have found snakes in my sal****er pool
on several occasions.

Tony

Old 22-09-2003, 07:02 AM
Jock

wrote:

For land snakes, pour a line of salt around your boundary and outside

your
doorways. It must be at least 10mm high. Snakes don't like salt, you

never
see any on the beaches so that should prove this theory.
Make sure the salt is fine and not rock salt, the snakes can be injured

by
the rock salt.
Jock

I think that might be an old wive's tale. As a child I used to catch
snakes on Central and North Coast beaches. Mostly carpet snakes
(pythons) but they certainly spent a lot of time sunning themselves
around beach areas. Currently I have found snakes in my sal****er pool
on several occasions.

Tony

These snakes were desparate, they were trying to top themselves.
Believe the salt thing, it works.
Jock