Old 23-09-2003, 02:12 PM
MICHAEL KING

Default Water saving methods

Anyone have experience with rainsaver crystals or similar methods of water
saving?Any links to proper studies will be appreciated as I have a quater
acre of garden to maintain and restrictions are about to hit.How long do
these chemical methods last and how effective are they?All help appreciated.

Old 01-10-2003, 03:13 AM
John Savage

"MICHAEL KING" writes:
Anyone have experience with rainsaver crystals or similar methods of water
saving?Any links to proper studies will be appreciated as I have a quater
acre of garden to maintain and restrictions are about to hit.How long do
these chemical methods last and how effective are they?All help appreciated.

I have used the water crystals, and gained the impression that they did
work. (Strawberry plants on the dry ends of the rows bore better than
they ever had once I put water crystals under their feet.) So I was
surprised to hear Don Bourke recently say that he hasn't seen
convincing evidence that the crystals do work. They are made of a polymer
that is supposed to have an almost indefinite lifetime.

Old 01-10-2003, 04:49 AM
len gardener

g'day john,

you'll probably find the makers of the crystals aren't paying burkey
enough if anything at all.

chuckle

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Old 01-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Dover3211

len gardener wrote in message . ..
g'day john,

you'll probably find the makers of the crystals aren't paying burkey
enough if anything at all.

chuckle

len

I've used the crystals in pots, seem to work very effectively, and the
crystals swell to about 20 times their size. A teaspoon is enough for
5 litres of dirt. I have found they work best if the crystals are
under the surface out of direct sunlight, as they dry up quicker when
in the sun.
Hope this is of help.

Ben
http://www.directedfocus.com.au/gardening

Old 02-10-2003, 08:13 AM
judy

We put them thru the undersoil for new lawn last year - the lawn is coping
with the big dry. Also - by accident someone dropped a pile of them in the
pool garden. Weeks later, we foudn an alien creature there - the crystals
had swelled to a huge gelatinous lump - much bigger than the demos in the
garden centre. The plans around it are doing MUCH better even thro the alien
is now just below the surface.

Judy

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day john,

you'll probably find the makers of the crystals aren't paying burkey
enough if anything at all.

chuckle

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment
http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/