GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/43904-wanted-rapidly-growing-climber-fence-sydney.html)

Richard Wright 24-09-2003 02:45 AM

wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney)

I want a rapidly growing climber to cover a picket fence in Sydney
(not Madeira vine!).

I'm not worried whether it is native or introduced. What should I
consider?

rapdor 24-09-2003 08:03 AM

wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney)

Blackeyed Susan will provide a dense, colourful cover that is easy to
control.

Terry Collins 24-09-2003 12:23 PM

rapdor wrote:

Blackeyed Susan will provide a dense, colourful cover that is easy to
control.

Please No.
This stuff is invasive of bushland something cronic.

Try a Pandorea vine from your local nursery. Okay, it will take a couple
of years, but currently ours has a massive display of flowers.

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish 24-09-2003 01:02 PM

In article , rapdor wrote:
Blackeyed Susan will provide a dense, colourful cover that is easy to
control.

Except when it sets seed into bushland margins

--
Replace abuse with kd21 in email address to assure valid reply
address.

Jock 24-09-2003 01:22 PM

wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney)

seen along popular railway lines enmasse.
Jock

Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish 24-09-2003 10:32 PM

In article , Terry Collins wrote:
rapdor wrote:

Blackeyed Susan will provide a dense, colourful cover that is easy to
control.

Please No.
This stuff is invasive of bushland something c[h]ronic.

Try a Pandorea vine from your local nursery. Okay, it will take a couple

I hadn't thought of that. Now that I think of it, /Pandorea/ does
inhabit a similar niche to black eyed susan (don't like to capitalise
weeds, it lends them legitimacy), and is a much more rewarding plant
to grow over the medium term. The difference between the vigour of
the cultivars and the bushland specimens is noticable, and not
entirely due to environemntal differences judging from the seedlings
we have growing from our cultivars.

of years, but currently ours has a massive display of flowers.

Yes, very rewarding plants to grow, and smell nice at dusk when you
are bringing the washing in (assuming that you have a specimen next to
the washing line).

Jane VR 25-09-2003 12:22 AM

Richard Wright wrote:

I want a rapidly growing climber to cover a picket fence in Sydney
(not Madeira vine!).

I'm not worried whether it is native or introduced. What should I
consider?

Jasmine, potato vine, Thunbergia grandiflora are quick, like lots of
sun, get pretty big, which can be a problem if you don't have room for
them (jasmine especially). Hardenbergia, Hibbertia, Pandorea cope better
with some shade and don't get as big. Carolina Jasmine is also faily
contained but a bit slower than the others. The blue potato vine is also
a bit smaller than the white, I'm not sure if it is as quick a grower.

Jane

Richard Wright 25-09-2003 08:25 PM

wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney)

Thanks to all who responded. We shall probably go with jasmine
(Jasminum) and potato vine.

Terry Collins 27-09-2003 06:23 AM

Richard Wright wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. We shall probably go with jasmine
(Jasminum) and potato vine.

Is potato vine Madiera Vine(Anredera cordifolia)?

If so, please do not go with Potato Vine. It is worse than black eyed
susan. That stuff can literally pull down trees.

Richard Wright 27-09-2003 07:44 AM

wanted - rapidly growing climber for fence (Sydney)

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 15:18:03 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

Richard Wright wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. We shall probably go with jasmine
(Jasminum) and potato vine.

Is potato vine Madiera Vine(Anredera cordifolia)?

If so, please do not go with Potato Vine. It is worse than black eyed
susan. That stuff can literally pull down trees.

I agree, Madeira vine (Anredera cordifolia) is a shocker. In my
original post I asked for any suggestions other than Madeira Vine! I
have just spent several weeks eradicating it.

Potato Vine is Solanum jasminoides.

See
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...sminoides.html