Old 06-10-2003, 01:32 AM
kyte

Default golden Cane Palms

I want to plant some of these for screening purposes...from the street
(not permitted a front fence) and from neighbours.

How far from the boundary and other plants should they be planted...I
know they can get quite big, over time. Also how much time, and whats
the biggest, assuming good conditions..........

TIA

sue

Old 06-10-2003, 02:22 AM
len gardener

g'day sue,

they can cover to around 2.5 to 3 meters in width, but you can also
trim the outer trunks off to keep them narrower. would leave about 1
to 1.5 meters clearance to fences, again any that threaten damage to
the fence can be removed from the clump. with your front boundry it
shouldn't matter if they encroach onto the footpath a little as in
most cases you are aloowed a garden bed along your front boundary
outside the fence, and fronds and trunks can be kept trimmed or
removed for the comfort of others.

how fast they grow depends on a lot of things least of which is the
medium you plant them in and how much water they get, in a good rich
medium with good watering they will grow quiet fast, keep them well
mulched.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 06-10-2003, 05:02 AM
kyte

len gardener wrote:
snip

how fast they grow depends on a lot of things least of which is the
medium you plant them in and how much water they get, in a good rich
medium with good watering they will grow quiet fast, keep them well
mulched.

Thanks for all that, Len. Might even get out and start digging holes
today

cheers
sue

Old 06-10-2003, 05:12 AM
Chookie

In article ,
kyte wrote:

I want to plant some of these for screening purposes...from the street
(not permitted a front fence) and from neighbours.

I am not familiar with the plant but can't imagine that a *palm tree* would be
much of a screen once it grows a bit.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 AM
len gardener

tghe golden cane 'dypsis leutescans' was 'chrysaldocarpus' (spelling
of both??) can be let grow quiet dense with new trunks growing up most
of the time so yes they can be a pretty good screening plant.

len

snipped

Old 06-10-2003, 09:23 AM
len gardener

tghe golden cane 'dypsis leutescans' was 'chrysaldocarpus' (spelling
of both??) can be let grow quiet dense with new trunks growing up most
of the time so yes they can be a pretty good screening plant.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

Golden Cane Palm - Separating Bertiesmum Australia 0 11-05-2006 12:35 AM
Golden Cane Palms eurekaoz Australia 7 15-05-2005 05:15 PM
Pests on my Golden Cane Palm Brisbane QLD knll Australia 11 04-10-2004 08:11 AM
best way to kill golden cane palm? rapdor Australia 2 20-04-2003 01:44 PM
Hardy Palms - long (was Trachycarpus Fortunei Palms) [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-11-2002 04:15 AM