Old 09-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Wanda

Default Insect Repellant Plant

I was talking with a friend this evening about plants that have insect
repellant properties & vaguely remembered one that might have been a type of
Tea Tree... Does anyone know the name (common or otherwise)? Is it readily
available?

Old 09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Shelley

Hi Wanda

I have a citronella pelargonium... not sure if this is aits real name but
its everywhere here and grows like mad from bits that are cut off... I
pruned it once and my kids grabbed bits out of the pile and began sticking
them in the ground .... whollah... I have about 22 plants each about 2
metres wide.... grows like a weed and when the wind blows or you brush it
the most delightful citronella scent emanates from it.... I have many summer
BBQs and no one is ever bothered by mozzies.

Shelley

Old 10-10-2003, 02:42 AM
Stephen Oakes

These plants don't work... Sure, the insects probably won't sit on them, but
they will fly past them.

Citronella candles don't work either, unless you are trying to protect a
very small volume of air from mosquitoes.
--
Stephen Oakes

Old 10-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Shelley

I am simply conveying my own experiences with them. Different strokes for
different folks I guess.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:12 AM
Andrew G

Not sure on the tea tree, but I think it's a citronella plant.
Maybe there are others such as herbs.
I've heard they work, but only if the plant is brushed, or leaves crushed to
give off the smell.

Good luck

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Old 13-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Adrian

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 13:25:12 GMT, "Wanda"
wrote:

I was talking with a friend this evening about plants that have insect
repellant properties & vaguely remembered one that might have been a type of
Tea Tree... Does anyone know the name (common or otherwise)? Is it readily
available?

I've hear people say that rosemary deters flies, etc... but not seen
any proof of this. It's a nice enough plant to have around, and
smells great when you brush against it! Great for a BBQ area.
Old 13-10-2003, 01:11 PM
Gabra

wrote:

I was talking with a friend this evening about plants that have insect
repellant properties & vaguely remembered one that might have been a type

of
Tea Tree... Does anyone know the name (common or otherwise)? Is it

readily
available?

I've hear people say that rosemary deters flies, etc... but not seen
any proof of this. It's a nice enough plant to have around, and
smells great when you brush against it! Great for a BBQ area

I remember tansey as repellant to flies.

Old 13-10-2003, 11:06 PM
Rod Out back

I thought Neem trees were supposed to be insect repelling as they got older,
and started fruiting. More for mosquitoes, but I thought it was offensive
to most insects. We have about 8 mature Neems here, but for the life of me I
couldnt say if they reduce the insect population at all.

I heard rumours that a lot of unscrupulous plant suppliers had sold white
cedars as Neems (closely related??), so maybe we dont have many of the real
things....They do look a bit different to the white cedar we had growing a
few years ago, though...

Cheers,

Rod...Out Back

wrote:

I was talking with a friend this evening about plants that have insect
repellant properties & vaguely remembered one that might have been a

type
of
Tea Tree... Does anyone know the name (common or otherwise)? Is it

readily
available?

I've hear people say that rosemary deters flies, etc... but not seen
any proof of this. It's a nice enough plant to have around, and
smells great when you brush against it! Great for a BBQ area

I remember tansey as repellant to flies.

Avon insect repellant Pam Moore[_2_] United Kingdom 9 04-08-2012 10:38 PM
Mosquito repellant plant? HC Australia 33 18-11-2007 11:41 AM
New Deer repellant Stephen Henning Gardening 0 13-02-2005 11:01 PM
Deer repellant Bob Edible Gardening 5 13-08-2003 04:14 AM
aphid repellant Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 6 10-03-2003 01:05 PM