Old 13-10-2003, 01:42 AM
Luke

Default Yellow leaves on Gardenias

This is probably the third time someone has posted about this problem but
with my Gardenias the leaves are still yellow after a couple of months using
Magnesium to overcome it. Could there be anything else causing this, the
plants get morning sun only and haven't been over watered. The buds also end
up drying out and dropping off, they do not open up. Does anyone have any
clues.

Thanks
Luke

Old 14-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Jane VR

Luke wrote:

This is probably the third time someone has posted about this problem but
with my Gardenias the leaves are still yellow after a couple of months using
Magnesium to overcome it. Could there be anything else causing this, the
plants get morning sun only and haven't been over watered. The buds also end
up drying out and dropping off, they do not open up. Does anyone have any
clues.

Thanks
Luke

Check the soil pH. Have they been fed lately? Gardenias are heavy
feeders during spring. They need plenty of water too. It could be an
iron deficiency rather than Magnesium. Use chelated iron for that.

HTH
Jane

Old 14-10-2003, 02:02 AM
Adam

"Luke" wrote in message ...
This is probably the third time someone has posted about this problem but
with my Gardenias the leaves are still yellow after a couple of months using
Magnesium to overcome it. Could there be anything else causing this, the
plants get morning sun only and haven't been over watered. The buds also end
up drying out and dropping off, they do not open up. Does anyone have any
clues.

Thanks
Luke

When I had this I needed to add Nitrogen.
Try Osmacote for shrubs/trees - it's got a very high N rating.
Old 14-10-2003, 04:24 AM
Registered User

Location: Sydney

Quote:
Originally posted by Adam
"Luke" wrote in message ...
This is probably the third time someone has posted about this problem but
with my Gardenias the leaves are still yellow after a couple of months using
Magnesium to overcome it. Could there be anything else causing this, the
plants get morning sun only and haven't been over watered. The buds also end
up drying out and dropping off, they do not open up. Does anyone have any
clues.

Thanks
Luke

When I had this I needed to add Nitrogen.
Try Osmacote for shrubs/trees - it's got a very high N rating.
Hi,
Gardenias are one of the most habitual plants known to man, regular watering is the key particularly in the dry weather that we've been having. Is the leaf yellow all over or just in between the veins?
Old 16-10-2003, 10:22 AM
dobee

"Luke" wrote in message
This is probably the third time someone has posted about this problem but
with my Gardenias the leaves are still yellow after a couple of months

using
Magnesium to overcome it. Could there be anything else causing this, the
plants get morning sun only and haven't been over watered. The buds also

end
up drying out and dropping off, they do not open up. Does anyone have any
clues.

Thanks
Luke

If the leaves are all-over yellow.
Gardenias hold on to their leaves where other plants drop their leaves. That
is why there are yellow leaves on Gardenias. They will drop.
If the leaves are mottled or stripped.
This is a nutrient deficiency.

dobee