Old 14-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Pat Shaw

Default Lemon leaves curling

Is there anything I can do with the curling droopy leaves of a dwarf
lemon in a pot?
Old 14-10-2003, 03:29 AM
Registered User

Location: Sydney

Quote:
Originally posted by Pat Shaw
Is there anything I can do with the curling droopy leaves of a dwarf
lemon in a pot?
If leaves are droopy, probably needs more water.

If leaves are distorted in shape it is probable citrus leaf miner, prune the affected foliage off and dispose of. Spray with a systemic insecticide e.g. Confidor, Rogor and then wait three weeks b4 eating the fruit.

Hope this helps

Allan
Old 14-10-2003, 07:42 AM
Jane VR

allanbugg wrote:
Pat Shaw wrote:

*Is there anything I can do with the curling droopy leaves of a
dwarf
lemon in a pot? *

If leaves are droopy, probably needs more water.

If leaves are distorted in shape it is probable citrus leaf miner,
prune the affected foliage off and dispose of. Spray with a systemic
insecticide e.g. Confidor, Rogor and then wait three weeks b4 eating
the fruit.

Hope this helps

Allan

Check the label before spraying. One of them causes leaf drop on citrus
(maybe Rogor, I don't remember, but check the label and it will warn
you). You can also spray the leaves heavily with white oil to prevent
leaf miner.

Yet another possibility is wind damage.

Jane

Old 15-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Pat Shaw

Check the label before spraying. One of them causes leaf drop on citrus
(maybe Rogor, I don't remember, but check the label and it will warn
you). You can also spray the leaves heavily with white oil to prevent
leaf miner.

Yet another possibility is wind damage.

Jane

Thanks for the info. The lemon tree does not need water. I have been
spraying with whit oil, but no effect.
Pat
Old 15-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Jane VR

Pat Shaw wrote:
Check the label before spraying. One of them causes leaf drop on citrus
(maybe Rogor, I don't remember, but check the label and it will warn
you). You can also spray the leaves heavily with white oil to prevent
leaf miner.

Yet another possibility is wind damage.

Jane

Thanks for the info. The lemon tree does not need water. I have been
spraying with whit oil, but no effect.
Pat

Nothing will fix the damaged leaves. It's just a question of figuring
out what caused it to prevent it from happening again. If you have
sprayed with white oil then you shouldn't get any more damage on
previously unaffected leaves, assuming it's leaf miner. But there is
nothing you can do for the other leaves except prune them off, like
Allan said.

HTH

Jane

Old 15-10-2003, 12:32 PM
Doyley

Jane VR wrote:
Pat Shaw wrote:

[...]

No-one has mentioned Pestoil. Is that a no-no now? All the "media gurus"
seem to advise this for citrus leaf miner - if that's what Pat's plant's
problem is... Isn't it early for clm?

Old 15-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Wanda

How about fertiliser? What are you using? citrus specific fertiliser? seasol
(for root growth)? How about wettasoil? The soil in pots does seem to become
water repellant much easier than the garden.

news

Old 15-10-2003, 11:02 PM
Jane VR

Doyley wrote:
Jane VR wrote:

Pat Shaw wrote:

[...]

I think Pestoil is a variant of white oil and they can be used
interchangably. At TAFE we were told that leaf miner can start in spring
but is usually more of a problem summer/autumn, so yeah, it's early.

Pat, leaf miner makes white, curvy trails in the leaf, as well as
crinkling them. If you're not sure, take a leaf to a nursery and they
should be able to recognise leaf miner.

Jane

Old 16-10-2003, 11:02 AM

Jane VR wrote:

I think Pestoil is a variant of white oil and they can be used
interchangably. At TAFE we were told that leaf miner can start in spring
but is usually more of a problem summer/autumn, so yeah, it's early.

Jane

Jane,

I'm only a gardener's part-time assistant (Esteemed Spouse is the Head
Gardener!) so I don't claim to know much more than I hear on the
gardening segment on Simon Marnie's ABC radio show, but....

Pestoil and white oil interchangeable? Won't white oil burn leaves if
used in the sun, whereas Pestoil is easier on foliage?

(More an enquiry than an attempt at correction.)

Old 17-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Jane VR

M wrote:

Jane,

I'm only a gardener's part-time assistant (Esteemed Spouse is the Head
Gardener!) so I don't claim to know much more than I hear on the
gardening segment on Simon Marnie's ABC radio show, but....

Pestoil and white oil interchangeable? Won't white oil burn leaves if
used in the sun, whereas Pestoil is easier on foliage?

(More an enquiry than an attempt at correction.)

Yes it can. That's a good point. I looked up Pestoil and wrote a post on
it, but it looks like it didn't make it. Pestoil is white oil + UV
filter to prevent sunburn.

Jane

Old 17-10-2003, 02:22 AM
Jane VR

M wrote:
Jane,

I'm only a gardener's part-time assistant (Esteemed Spouse is the Head
Gardener!) so I don't claim to know much more than I hear on the
gardening segment on Simon Marnie's ABC radio show, but....

Pestoil and white oil interchangeable? Won't white oil burn leaves if
used in the sun, whereas Pestoil is easier on foliage?

(More an enquiry than an attempt at correction.)

P.S. I am not an expert either, I just have a lot of technical books to
look stuff up in.

Jane

Old 18-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Andrew G

"Jane VR" wrote in message
u...

I think Pestoil is a variant of white oil and they can be used
interchangably. At TAFE we were told that leaf miner can start in spring
but is usually more of a problem summer/autumn, so yeah, it's early.

Pat, leaf miner makes white, curvy trails in the leaf, as well as
crinkling them. If you're not sure, take a leaf to a nursery and they
should be able to recognise leaf miner.

Jane

Just thought I would add that the trails left can also be clear looking as
only the "skin" of the leaf is left.
Pest Oil and White oil both work in the same way by "suffocating" the bug.
And both will only work if you cover all the bugs, it's not systemic.
Cheers
Andrew