Old 18-10-2003, 01:02 PM
paxwax

Default Leaf cutting bee.

I've got a small tree, about 2 meters high, in a pot. It has been getting
circular chunks, (4-6mm in diameter), cut out of its leaves, over the last 6
months. It is mid spring here, sub-tropical and coastal. I have not seen any
insects at work, but have heard that they do this sort of thing.

The tree is getting cut up pretty bad, almost to the point it is starting to
look unwell.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Cheers Pax

Old 19-10-2003, 12:42 AM
Don Smith

Commonly known as the saw-fly. Its grubs gather in big clusters on the
trees and are sometimes called "spitfires".
The grubs are black and ugly and have an orange tip. During the day the
group breaks up to feed but keep in contact with one another by tapping the
orange hard end on the branch.
Witt

Old 20-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Don Smith" wrote:

Commonly known as the saw-fly. Its grubs gather in big clusters on the
trees and are sometimes called "spitfires".

Really? IME spitfires are very obvious and tend to defoliate rather than cut
circles. I thought the leaf-cutting bee was a solitary native bee that used
the leaves for its nest. I would move a few other plants to the same area in
the hope that the bee will move on to them.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Jeez; if only those Ancient Greek storytellers had known about the astonishing
creature that is the *Usenet hydra*: you cut off one head, and *a stupider one*
grows back..." -- MJ, cam.misc
Old 20-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Wanda

I thought the same. I had a colony of the things living in various holes in
a retaining wall at my last place. I think they were also called Australian
Blue Bee?

Old 21-10-2003, 03:22 PM
Jock

Spitfires are eucalypt feeders,
http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/macleay/larvae/faqs/spit.html

the leafcutter bee is not
http://www.zeta.org.au/~anbrc/ab09.html

Have a read.
Jock

Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 AM
paxwax1

Thanks all.

I have also found info on 'introduced' leafcutting bees:
http://www.ento.csiro.au/research/pe...gaheadbees.pdf
http://birding.about.com/library/blb...le&terms=%2BBe
nefits%2B%2Bof%2B%2Btrees

Native:
http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=242
http://www.floraforfauna.com/downloa...ative_Bees.pdf

Cheers Pax

Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 AM
paxwax1

Thanks to all.
I found a few answers too.
http://www.ento.csiro.au/research/pe..._research.html

"Wanda" wrote in message
I thought the same. I had a colony of the things living in various holes

in
a retaining wall at my last place. I think they were also called

Australian
Blue Bee?