GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Soil Acidity (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/australia/45762-soil-acidity.html)

Tristan 20-10-2003 03:02 AM

Soil Acidity

Hello

We have a row of Gardenia's growing alongside a wall. I think that the lime
from the mortar and render is leaching into the soil and making it alkaline.
I was wondering what I should use to increase the acidity in the soil.

Tristan

Janet 20-10-2003 06:02 AM

Soil Acidity

Firstly, you should have the soil tested before you start messing and
guessing. If your soil is alkaline, put coffee grounds around your
plants.... or purchase sulphur, but you will need to know how much
correction is necessary to change your soil.

Jen

Tristan wrote:
: Hello
:

GreenieLeBrun 20-10-2003 07:12 AM

Soil Acidity

Tristan wrote in message ...
Hello

We have a row of Gardenia's growing alongside a wall. I think that the lime
from the mortar and render is leaching into the soil and making it alkaline.
I was wondering what I should use to increase the acidity in the soil.

Tristan

Elemental sulphur, iron sulphate, peat moss are three possibilities

Loosecannon 20-10-2003 06:32 PM

Soil Acidity

My camelias had the same problem. I used cow manure to fertilise them, a
layer 2cm over the surface and it happens to be acidic. I then follow up
with a pine needle mulch around 10 - 15cm thick over the top which gets
renewed every year. Works a treat!

Cheers

Richard

.. .