Old 25-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Morphet

Default Spray on lawn...

Currently building our new house and am interested in getting
spray-on-lawn (seed). Does anybody have any opionion on this one
way or another?

I have phoned a few companies and the best price I have found is $250
for the minimim fee (which our house will be.....not very big)
Does this price sound expensive?

Thanks
Old 28-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , Morphet wrote:
Currently building our new house and am interested in getting
spray-on-lawn (seed). Does anybody have any opionion on this one
way or another?

I have phoned a few companies and the best price I have found is $250
for the minimim fee (which our house will be.....not very big)
Does this price sound expensive?

All "spray on" (ie seed lawn) is expensive as it will not last long.
The best bet is to buy a few buffalo turfs, or get surplus supply from
turf jobs, get it so that it is growing, and then propogate from the
runners that it throws. For a short term investment, the price you
have been given is fine though.

--
Email address now bogus due to spam. Make a request for my real email
if you want a real email address to communicate with me.
Old 28-10-2003, 11:22 AM
the.computer

We have both spray on and turf for our lawn in Canberra. The spray on
was much better (didn't come with scarab bugs) and was useable in the
same amount of time.

The spray on lawn is lush and grows very well. With the water
restrictions here, we haven't watered it since March and it shows no
signs of stress.

Not sure about the price, I seem to remember it was about half the
cost of the turf, but there was a minimum charge for small areas.

Hope that helps
cal
Old 29-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Andrew G

"Morphet" wrote in message
Currently building our new house and am interested in getting
spray-on-lawn (seed). Does anybody have any opionion on this one
way or another?

I have phoned a few companies and the best price I have found is $250
for the minimim fee (which our house will be.....not very big)
Does this price sound expensive?

Thanks

I would firstly ask them what type of seed you are getting.
If it's perennial ryegrass, I wouldn't bother. I mean it's ok, but not one I
would suggest for lawns, speaking from experience of seeing my parents back
lawn which I did with perennial ryegrass seed 4yrs ago. If it's another
"normal" type lawn, such as couch or buffalo, then I guess it's ok. Compare
the prices with turfing, and growing from runners, or even seeding the lawn
yourself.
Just remember, the main thing with propagating from seed is to keep the
ground moist (not wet) and don't let it dry out. Possibly a consideration if
water restrictions are in your area or coming in the near future.
Good luck

Old 02-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

In article , the.computer wrote:
We have both spray on and turf for our lawn in Canberra. The spray on
was much better (didn't come with scarab bugs) and was useable in the
same amount of time.

A reputable supplier of lawn will provide some kind of guarantee.

The spray on lawn is lush and grows very well. With the water
restrictions here, we haven't watered it since March and it shows no
signs of stress.

But wait until the summer. You'll be watering it constantly, and if
you dont lawn = dead. At least with turf, it takes a lot more neglect
and lack of water to kill it off permanently. Like I said before, for
a short term investment, "spray on" lawn is fine. Run away fast if
you want your lawn to last more than a couple of years.

Old 02-11-2003, 02:34 AM
Holy Zarquon's Singing Fish

[...]

When to spray lawn for crane flies? Lawn Guy Lawns 3 21-10-2008 06:44 AM
Spray to kill lawn grass? Rich Gardening 5 27-05-2004 04:02 AM
Question: Lawn Spray silven Lawns 4 04-09-2003 08:02 PM
spray-on lawn?? Jim Lawns 2 01-06-2003 04:08 PM
Dormant spray R & L Porter Roses 6 10-02-2003 04:55 PM