Old 31-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Zeppelin

Default Weed Seeds

Does anyone know a way to kill the seeds of weeds? I have recently cleaned
up my garden beds of weeds only to find the soil littered with their seeds.

Wondering if anyone knew a way to destroy the seeds instead of waiting for
them to growing into new weeds before getting rid of them.

Does roundup kill the seeds?

Old 31-10-2003, 09:32 PM
joebee

"Zeppelin" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know a way to kill the seeds of weeds? I have recently cleaned
up my garden beds of weeds only to find the soil littered with their

seeds.

Wondering if anyone knew a way to destroy the seeds instead of waiting for
them to growing into new weeds before getting rid of them.

Does roundup kill the seeds?

It will kill your garden as well.

Old 01-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Jane VR

Zeppelin wrote:
Does anyone know a way to kill the seeds of weeds? I have recently cleaned
up my garden beds of weeds only to find the soil littered with their seeds.

Wondering if anyone knew a way to destroy the seeds instead of waiting for
them to growing into new weeds before getting rid of them.

Does roundup kill the seeds?

If you have empty beds, you can cover them with black plastic and hope
to cook the seeds. Mulching heavily will reduce the number of weeds that
make it through. Eucalyptus leaves are supposed to prevent seed
germination, so they might be a good choice. I've heard it is even more
effective to let the weeds germinate, then smother them with mulch, but
I haven't tried it myself. Less digging and cultivating means less
weeds, as they don't get the light they need to germinate.

Roundup won't kill the seeds but if you let them germinate you can spray
them then. You can also get pre-emergent herbicide I think it's called,
that prevents things from germinating, check the nursery.

Jane

Old 02-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Andrew G

"Zeppelin" wrote in message
u...
Does anyone know a way to kill the seeds of weeds? I have recently cleaned
up my garden beds of weeds only to find the soil littered with their

seeds.

Wondering if anyone knew a way to destroy the seeds instead of waiting for
them to growing into new weeds before getting rid of them.

Does roundup kill the seeds?

There is a pre emergent herbicide call Ronstar, made by Chipco. It comes in
small granules that you sprinkle on the garden and water in. I am unsure if
it actually kills the seeds, or stops them from germinating for a period of
time. I know you have to re-apply it 3 or 6 months later. Actually, thinking
about it, it probably kills them.
Only problem is that once the area is cultivated down the track, then new
seeds will come to the surface. DO NOT use Ronstar if you plan on sowing
seeds in the garden bed, and check first what weeds it kills.
Other than that, you could let them germinate, then kill them off/pull them
out, turn over soil, and do the same a few weeks later.
Possibly black plastic over the area will heat them enough (think 60deg cels
is needed) to kill them. If there are no worms in the garden try pouring
boiling water over the garden bed, turn over soil a bit later, then do the
same, over and over.
If you have one of those steam thinghys they advertise for cleaning try that
over the garden bed.
But ROundup will not work.