Old 02-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Shelley

Default Product advice

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was watching Burkes backyard the
other week and he mentioned a product by the name escapes me.

He said that if a bush was infested with grass growing through it you could
touch this product on any part of the grass and the grass would die but not
the plant...

I have a huge daisy bush that unfortunately hasn't had the upkeep it
deserves and pulling all the grass out would be a massive job...

Would something like roundup do the same thing if I just touched one small
leaf of the grass... or would it not travel through all the grass... I'm
pretty ignorant on this topic (in case you hadn't already guessed) so any
advice would be most appreciated.

Thankyou

Shelley

Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Andrew G

"Shelley" wrote in message
Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was watching Burkes backyard

the
other week and he mentioned a product by the name escapes me.

He said that if a bush was infested with grass growing through it you

could
touch this product on any part of the grass and the grass would die but

not
the plant...

I didn't see Burkes Backyard, but at work we use a product called Fusilade
which kills grasses only.
If you do use it, follow the safety directions carefully as it's not good to
breath in.
The only bad thing is it's not cheap, and a rough price of $90 litre comes
to mind.

I have a huge daisy bush that unfortunately hasn't had the upkeep it
deserves and pulling all the grass out would be a massive job...

Would something like roundup do the same thing if I just touched one small
leaf of the grass... or would it not travel through all the grass... I'm
pretty ignorant on this topic (in case you hadn't already guessed) so any
advice would be most appreciated.

I would try pull as much of the grass out as possible, or even if it breaks
off above ground, just enough to give you room so you can spray it with
roundup and not get any roundup on the plant. Even if you need to prune some
of the plant.
Roundup is systemic, so it will go throughout the whole plant if it gets on
part of it. I have yet to see a plant die where only a very small part of it
has been hit with roundup, but I have seen deformities in a plant that has.
So you probably have to cover at least 60% of the grass for it to have good
effect.
You could try painting roundup straight on parts of the grass, especially if
it's clumping (not runners like couch).
In the end all you can do with roundup is be as careful as possible, don't
spray when it's windy (or dead calm for that matter, a very slight breeze is
best), don't pump the sprayer up a lot so it's misty and even use a spray
oil/wetting agent to make the droplets heavier, and mix it at about 1litre
of water, with 15ml of roundup, or 10litre of water with 150ml of roundup.
Good luck
Thankyou

Shelley

Product advice? JennyC United Kingdom 4 07-10-2004 01:25 AM
Product advice? Chris Engel United Kingdom 1 25-09-2004 05:04 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
AD: Versatile product for tightening fences, deer stand guide wires, grape vine trellis', etc - Jak C&C Fencing Supply Lawns 0 06-02-2003 01:35 AM