Old 03-11-2003, 10:32 AM
Jeremy Lunn

Default Getting rid of comfrey

Used to keep a few pots under a tree some 10 or more years ago. In one
pot we had comfrey which managed to escape from the pot. Now the tree
no longer exists and it's a garden bed and it seems just about
impossible to get rid of the stuff!

It's so deep rooted that it's just about impossible to dig it out. I
tried that 7 years ago when we were landscaping the area into a garden
bed. Any small bit of root that breaks off just spouts and if left
grows into a whole new clump so digging it out can perhaps be
counterproductive.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking that some systematic herbicide might be
the answer. I tried some once with no effect so I'm guessing that I may
need to do a stronger mix. Perhaps the same concentrate as used for
bamboo?

Thanks,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Lunn
Melbourne, Australia

Old 04-11-2003, 07:43 AM
len gardener

g'day jeremy,

this is the slow way to do it but i got rid of some out of a garden by
pulling out any new shoots that appeared as they appeared, this
deprives the root of sugars it needs to grow so ultimaely it dies, but
give glyphosate a go i'd paint it onto the new shoots neat.

len
snipped
--
happy gardening

http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/
Old 04-11-2003, 10:02 AM
Andrew G

[...]

I'd be going with Normans Idea of Blackberry and tree killer.
Not sure on the effects to the surrounding garden, something you would have
to read about on the directions.
But before that you could try glphosate in full strength, not mixed with any
water and paint it straight on, or "wound" the plant and paint it in the
cuts.
Good luck

Old 04-11-2003, 10:03 PM
Jane VR

Andrew G wrote:
[...]

Undiluted glyphosate has worked for me.

Jane

Old 05-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Jeremy Lunn

On 2003-11-04, Jane VR wrote:
But before that you could try glphosate in full strength, not mixed with any
water and paint it straight on, or "wound" the plant and paint it in the

Undiluted glyphosate has worked for me.

Thanks everyone, will give that a try.

Comfrey Tea Bobby United Kingdom 2 16-05-2006 12:42 AM
Comfrey Andre Kristani Australia 5 12-06-2004 12:03 PM
Comfrey as prophylactic? ;-) David Berry United Kingdom 3 30-07-2003 03:03 PM
Something growing in my comfrey liquid !!! Druss United Kingdom 8 23-06-2003 09:32 AM
Comfrey as a Green Fertilizer? Computerman United Kingdom 10 07-05-2003 01:44 AM