Old 06-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Syracuse

Default wine barrells

Hi All

I got hold of a couple of wine barrels and I want to leave them outside
under a grape vine. I was told that I should use oil rather than varnish but
not what type of oil.

Anyone any idea's?

Thanks
Graeme

Old 07-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Stephen Oakes

I got hold of a couple of wine barrels and I want to leave them outside
under a grape vine. I was told that I should use oil rather than varnish

but
not what type of oil.

I can't help, but can you tell me where to get hold of a couple of wine
barrels?

:-)

--
Stephen Oakes

Old 07-11-2003, 09:22 AM
Andrew G

"Syracuse" wrote in message
Hi All

I got hold of a couple of wine barrels and I want to leave them outside
under a grape vine. I was told that I should use oil rather than varnish

but
not what type of oil.

Anyone any idea's?

Thanks
Graeme

Hi there
Try and look for a product something along the lines of Lanoline. Pretty
sure it isn't just lanolin.
Anyway, it might work ok, as we have been using it on the bridges at work,
rather than creosote. Supposedly a lot more user and environmentally
friendly.
I did see on it that it contains a "natural" insecticide, it being
pyrethrum.
Good luck

Old 07-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Jade

I dont think it matters, but I wouldnt be using cooking oil, for fear of
attracting pests. You have to mix it 50/50 with turps though. Saw that last
night on Backyard Blitz. Go down to your local hardware store and ask for
some turps, and ask what sort of oil they'd recommend for park
benches/outdoor wooden ornaments. Linseed seems to come to mind, but I am
not sure if that's the best one to use.
Good luck,
Jade.

Old 07-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Syracuse

Well, thanks for all that input.
Where did i get 'em? I can't find the receipt.
By chance I drove past a factory next to the Ikea Bulky Goods warehouse in
Rowood Cres. Prospect in western Sydney and there they were. Complete Empty
Wine barrels for $100, halves $50 and will deliver for $20 per delivery. I
paid $70 for some halves 15 years ago.

Old 27-11-2003, 01:04 AM
John Savage

"Syracuse" writes:
I got hold of a couple of wine barrels and I want to leave them outside
under a grape vine.

Is that going to work ???
--
John Savage (sorry, couldn't resist)

Old 26-12-2003, 07:12 AM
cags

Hi there,

We got some half wine barrels from Tramstop in Greensborough. It was a
month or so ago, but they may still have some. It may pay to give them a
call first. They were around $45 I think.

Craig

"Stephen Oakes" wrote in message

I got hold of a couple of wine barrels and I want to leave them outside
under a grape vine. I was told that I should use oil rather than varnish

but
not what type of oil.

I can't help, but can you tell me where to get hold of a couple of wine
barrels?

:-)

--
Stephen Oakes

champagne or wine yeasts for DIY CO2? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 25 17-07-2003 08:45 PM
Half Wine Barrels Pete United Kingdom 5 15-05-2003 10:44 PM
Wild Blackberries (wine) Rob Smith Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
[IBC] Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer kevin bailey Bonsai 6 03-02-2003 10:40 PM
Wine Grape Bonsai Serial Killer Daze Bonsai 0 26-01-2003 04:35 AM