Old 06-11-2003, 10:03 PM
paxwax1

Default How do I block my email from appearing on messages?

I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
brian w edginton

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:50:55 +1000, "paxwax1"
wrote:

I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

Use a false address on newsgroups. Probably too late....you are
already on lists. Lists are currency to spammers.
Apart from that, the listmakers have bots that make up usernames and
marry them to known domains. They send out millions of spam messages
in the hope of hitting an occasional real address.
I mentioned this one before and an "expert", here, said it wasn't
so.....it is! I get many messages per day addressed to all sorts of
weird, multiple addresses using my ISP's domain with mine in the
middle.
Reply to one and you are on a bunch more lists even if they say that
you can opt out. Even a tirade of abuse won't get you off. Any
response at all confirms you are a live on and worth more to list
buyers.

Check out MailWasher.....allows you to clean out your mailbox before
downloading content. Also allows you to blacklist senders and to
create filters. Checking before downloading helps detect unwelcome
attachments, too.

brianWE
Learning.
If I hadn't been proven wrong so often, I wouldn't
be as smart as I am, now.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
jg

"paxwax1" wrote in message
I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it

down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

In Outlook under Tools/Accounts/News/Properties you can change your email
address to something false, I think it has to still look like to
be accepted. Other programs probably have similar facility.

Old 06-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Andy Wright

"paxwax1" wrote in message
I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it

down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

Go to your news set-up. Change your "reply-to" address to something
fictitious in the right format. Like , for
example.

The problem for you is that the spam-bots have already stripped your
address. The number of spammers with your address will now increase
exponentially. The only way to fix this is to do what I do. Ask your ISP to
change your e-mail address either permanently or temporarily. Send an e-mail
to everyone in your address book telling them of your new address. The SPAM
will bounce and they will eventually go away.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:03 AM

In aus.politics brian w edginton wrote:
[...]

FYI putting "removethis", "[remove]", "xxx" or using rot-13 in addresses that
otherwise matche a known domain or host do not at all fool the tools that
bulk gather email addresses from usenet.

And in the new era where companies regularly "datamine" the complete
20-y history of USENET and a significant percentage of web pages available
are not typically fooled by people trying to hide their identities.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:42 AM

In soc.culture.australian brian w edginton wrote:
[...]
That, too.
Now, there's an idea.....just about every spam message I get refers me
to a website. Why aren't all/some of those brilliant teenage arseholes
hacking genuine websites and doing the world a service by crashing
the sites the spammers want us to visit? No shortage of them, after
all (Spammers and hackers, both)
Guerilla warfare, like.

[...]

Earlier this year I saw something in The Age about some imminent US
company-for-hire that was proposing to be contracted to "go on the offensive".
The rep seemed to be some IT hawk previously working in the Pentagon --
the only reason my eyes stopped on the article for more than 10 seconds. ;-)

I'll dredge it up...

Old 07-11-2003, 04:13 AM
Marie Lawrence

We are on Optus, to block spam, go to your home page, click on webmail,
then fill in sender name and password. A list of E-mails comes up.. You can
then block them on the server. Close the mail and no more can come in. We
have to do this each time before going on the web, or we get heaps of spam,
with attachments of 156 kb daily.

Marie

Old 07-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Adam

"paxwax1" wrote in message . ..
I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

If you are posting via Google then I don't think you can hide your
email address ( if you know of a way, let me know )

Just set up a free hotmail or yahoo account and use that for posting.
I only check mine on an adhoc basis, and yahoo takes care of most of
the spam for me anyway...

Adam
Old 07-11-2003, 07:32 AM
netvegetable

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:50:55 +1000, paxwax1 wrote:

I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it
down to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

Most of the spamming is done by automated bots.

My system seems to illude them.......

--
to email me remove the word "NOT" from my addy

"..... I think what has kept your country safe and sane,
relatively, is that you have an ethic we don't have in America, which
is that if one person is hurting, we're all hurting."
Michael Moore

Old 09-11-2003, 07:13 PM
kyte

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:50:55 +1000, paxwax1 wrote:

I'm getting so much 'bad' mail of late and the only thing I can put it down
to is that my email goes out to newsgroups; no-one else.

It would be great to know of ways around this.

If theres one rule of usenet its this: your address *will* get spammed.
Usenet and having a website with a publicly viewable address (as opposed
to a form contact) are the two certain ways of getting that address out
there. Less certain is signing up for forums etc. Most have a privacy
policy and the option for your address to be invisible....but even that is
not a certainty.

I recommend, as Brian has, the use of mailwasher to clean out the junk
from the server, so you never have to download it. I also recommend the
use of aliases on your email address, and not to use your ISPs email
address for snything at all. Get a free yahoo account, then go to
http://dea.spamcon.com and start using disposables. shut the disposable
down as soon as the spam gets to ridiculous.

my own address is fake. apart from the munging, the actual ID doesnt
exist and because i have not set up a catchall on my domain, its going to
bounce no matter what. Why? I cannot think of a single reason for anyone
from usenet to email me privately, when a post on usenet would be
adequate.