Old 08-11-2003, 01:43 AM
Trish Brown

Default 'Eau de Lantana' was Kikuyu - EVIL!!

John Savage wrote:

I love the perfume of lantana on a baking hot mid-summer day. Flowers or
crushed leaves, either will do. I wonder can it be bottled? I'd wear it on
a dull wintery morning to brighten my day!

Eeuuwww! There must be some major difference between people's smelling
apparatuses, eh John?

To *my* dainty little nostrils (in fact, I have a nose like a lo-oo-ong ski
jump, but let's not go there...), lantana smells exactly like tomcat piddle! I
s'pose *some* might enjoy the aroma of tomcat piddle, (;-) but it does seem odd
that something could smell atrocious to some noses yet sweet to others!

Yesterday, I drove my Mum to Woy Woy. It seemed the whole, entire area we
travelled through was infected with evil-smelling Bursaria! The smell was strong
and sickly-sweet and so bad (gives me hayfever) that I had to close the car
window! Now *that's* a lot worse than lantana! IMHO.

Aside: on the heritage 'White Gates' at Wallsend, they've planted a rambling
hedge of purple and white lantana. The colours go perfectly with the pale
lavender shades of the fence surrounding the carpark and it never ceases to
bring a smile when I drive by! I never thought I'd see the day when I actually
*liked* lantana! ;-D

Oh, and another aside: I was birdwatching one day at Blackbutt Reserve in N'cle.
Back then, there was a much larger lantana problem than there is now and parts
of the lower reserve were utterly rotten with it. One day, I stumbled upon a
whole slope of Nodding Greenhood Orchids (Pterostylis nutans). Protected as they
were by the lantana, they'd been able to proliferate much more than they
ordinarily would have and I counted several hundred of them in that single
patch!

I reckon the most difficult-to-eradicate weed *I've* ever encountered has been
Jasmine! Once it takes hold, it takes *years* before you can get rid of it!

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old 15-11-2003, 09:02 PM
John Savage

Trish Brown writes:
John Savage wrote:

I love the perfume of lantana on a baking hot mid-summer day. Flowers or
crushed leaves, either will do. I wonder can it be bottled? I'd wear it on
a dull wintery morning to brighten my day!

Eeuuwww! There must be some major difference between people's smelling
apparatuses, eh John?

I like the flowers best of all. Picked a few the other day to keep in my
shirt pocket, so I could take them out from time to time.

To *my* dainty little nostrils (in fact, I have a nose like a lo-oo-ong ski
jump, but let's not go there...), lantana smells exactly like tomcat piddle!

Ah, my second favourite! $:-((

Aside: on the heritage 'White Gates' at Wallsend, they've planted a rambling
hedge of purple and white lantana. The colours go perfectly with the pale

I don't much like the hybrids. They have next to no perfume.

I reckon the most difficult-to-eradicate weed *I've* ever encountered has been
Jasmine! Once it takes hold, it takes *years* before you can get rid of it!

I tackled one that was confined to overgrowing a fence. I sprayed all the
foliage on one side with Roundup, and the kill was 100%. So satisfying to
see a hedge of brown crispy leaves replace one of green and pink! The scent
of a jasmine hedge right outside the kitchen is too overpowering even for me.
The trouble comes when the jasmine has been allowed to spread over the
ground, so that there are hundreds of small vines coming up everywhere. Get
yourself a sheep, or else borrow one, they just love jasmine.

Old 23-11-2003, 09:32 AM
Mark

Interestingly............. We supplied the Wallsend Gates lantana
plants.............under protest
lol
"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

Old 23-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Trish Brown

Mark wrote:

Interestingly............. We supplied the Wallsend Gates lantana
plants.............under protest
lol

What!? What!? Who are 'we'???

And if you supplied the Wallsend Gates lantana 'under protest', what would you
have preferred to supply? It's hard to imagine anything else looking as pretty
as those colours do (remember: I'm a lantana-loather from 'way back!)

A-aa-and...

Since you're acquainted with Wallsend and environs, what do you think of the
'inspirational' street tree plantings? Are they really Magnolia grandifolia
(Bullbay Magnolia - an exotic species) and if so, *why* on earth???

And whose idea was it to remove all the wonderful Moreton Bay figs along Cowper
Street? Not a breath of a word to the public until *after* 150 years worth of
trees had come down!

'They were diseased' said the Chamber of Commerce.

I saw the felled trees before they were hauled away and they looked perfectly
fine to me!

Busting to know who 'we' are!!!! ;-D

--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

kikuyu getting a yellow patch - help ? David Hastie Australia 4 22-02-2004 06:18 AM
Kikuyu - EVIL!! Elguapo Australia 7 09-11-2003 11:02 AM
Burclover in kikuyu grass The Real Bev Gardening 0 12-10-2003 04:22 AM
Some kikuyu advise needed Nicholas Steel Australia 3 01-10-2003 11:13 AM
removing kikuyu grass Jerome Morrow Australia 9 18-04-2003 02:08 AM