Old 09-11-2003, 12:43 AM
lea

Default Killing a cactus

The decayed Kwyjibo. wrote:
"Phoenix" spake, saying
The decayed Kwyjibo. typed:

snip
sounds like prickly pear, does it have a fruit?

Nope. No fruit. Just prickles.
It's hard to describe, but if you think of a monstorous birds-nest
fern about 4 feet across, but with thicker leaves/fronds/whatever
(like an aloe- vera plant) and with prickles all down the side and a
dirty big prickle at the end you get the general idea.

x-posted to aus.gardens, maybe they can help ?
I got a rash from a prickle weeds I seem to have brought back in the soil
from the nursery.
Soft furry prickles that welt and sting ( much like a cacti sting )

I hate cacti.

Old 09-11-2003, 05:12 AM
bob

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 11:37:26 +1100, "lea" wrote:

The decayed Kwyjibo. wrote:
"Phoenix" spake, saying
The decayed Kwyjibo. typed:

snip
sounds like prickly pear, does it have a fruit?

Nope. No fruit. Just prickles.
It's hard to describe, but if you think of a monstorous birds-nest
fern about 4 feet across, but with thicker leaves/fronds/whatever
(like an aloe- vera plant) and with prickles all down the side and a
dirty big prickle at the end you get the general idea.

x-posted to aus.gardens, maybe they can help ?
I got a rash from a prickle weeds I seem to have brought back in the soil
from the nursery.
Soft furry prickles that welt and sting ( much like a cacti sting )

I hate cacti.

Explains that rash I got from skulking around in your back garden
trying to find evidence of your husband's middle name.

I did come across this strange fat chick who would only answer to
"Pepsi" though.
Old 15-11-2003, 08:02 PM
John Savage

Nope. No fruit. Just prickles.
It's hard to describe, but if you think of a monstorous birds-nest
fern about 4 feet across, but with thicker leaves/fronds/whatever
(like an aloe- vera plant) and with prickles all down the side and a
dirty big prickle at the end you get the general idea.

I believe I know the very thing, but don't have a name for it. You can
saw the leaves off, but it is not easy as they are tough and fibrous.
As a first step, you can snip the big spike off the end with a pair of
pruning snips. It is a lethal spike, and could go clean through your
arm if you were to fall into the plant. It is most likely to do the
damage should a kid fall into the plant. Note: the end of the leaf will
start to die if you snip more than just the tip of the spike.

Even if you do dismantle it by cutting its leaves off one by one, take
note that they take a long time to decompose in the compost heap. Wear
protective goggles, or at least sunglasses, when weeding near the plant.
Those tip spines are as hard as tempered bronze and as sharp as needles.