Old 21-11-2003, 03:04 AM
Treant

Default Sunflowers In Pots (Very New To Gardening)

I just started gardening, though I don't actually have a garden as such. I
live in a block of apartments, but I have a little outside concrete space.
I decided I would like to try my hand at gardening, so I started with
something easy, sunflowers in pots.

At the moment they're about six inches talll in there own seperate pots
which are about 6 inches deep. My problem is that they apparently grow
above 5 feet tall... Are they going to keep growing or are they going to
reach a limit (due to the size of the pot) and simply stop or am I kidding
myself that I can keep these flowers in pots at all? sorry if that's a
stupid question! i really don't know much, except that I've grown somewhat
attatched to my little flowers and I don't want them to die... :'(

Treant

Old 25-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Vermunst

It is very cruel to keep plants in small pots. Plants have feelings too you
know! How would you feel if I buried you 6 inches deep? So stop kidding
yourself!

You should not become attached to plants or little flowers, if you do I
suggest paint thinner or acetone for removal.

The most responsible think to do is stop watering the sunflower plants and
keep them in total darkness until they flower.

Regards,
Dean
RSPCP

Old 09-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Jeremy Lunn

On 2003-11-15, Treant h*u*g*_*a*_*t*r*e*a*n*t*@*h*o*t*m*a*i*l*.*c*o*m wrote:
above 5 feet tall... Are they going to keep growing or are they going to
reach a limit (due to the size of the pot) and simply stop or am I kidding
myself that I can keep these flowers in pots at all? sorry if that's a

Unless they're shallow rooted, you might have to repot them and let them
grow to their full height. From what I've seen, when plants outgrow
their pots, it doesn't stunt their growth, instead their roots grow
through the bottom and in some cases the pots break. In any case it
doesn't leave the plants in a healthy condition once they're too big for
their pots.

Then again you might want to read this:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...312830089.html

--