Old 24-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Ivan McDonagh

Default Yellow silverbeet

Hi there

My silverbeet from the time it sprouted has been a very pale green - so
pale as to be almost yellow. I wonder if anyone has any ideas ? The colour
is perfectly consistent on every leaf.

Next to the silverbeet I'm growing some summer squash which are going great
- leaves are a lovely green and the squash are properly formed and
coloured. My cucumbers, also in the same bed, are another plant that's
going well.

Close by but in a seperate bed (all beds have been treated the same -
compost dug into the perth sand!) eggplant, cabbage, capsicum and chillies
are doing well. And in yet another bed, more squash, a couple of watermelon
and a rockmeoln all doing very nicely. Just the silverbeet!!!

Thanks very much for any advice/suggestions.

Ivan.
Remove the obvious to email me.
Old 24-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Astounded

Sounds like yellow silverbeet to me. We have the standard green plus yellow
and red silverbeet. If it is yellow silverbeet, the stems will be tinged
yellow as well.
Regards
Phil J.
. 67...

Old 26-11-2003, 01:05 AM
Ivan McDonagh

"Ivan McDonagh" wrote in message
. 67...
Hi there

My silverbeet from the time it sprouted has been a very pale green -
so pale as to be almost yellow. I wonder if anyone has any ideas ?
The colour is perfectly consistent on every leaf.

"Astounded" wrote in
:

Sounds like yellow silverbeet to me. We have the standard green plus
yellow and red silverbeet. If it is yellow silverbeet, the stems will
be tinged yellow as well.
Regards
Phil J.

Thanks Phil.

The stems are white and the packet says that these seeds are Fordhook Giant
which I believe is supposed to be a proper green colour

Any more ideas ?

Ivan.
Old 26-11-2003, 09:03 PM
SG1

Try trace elements. Sounds like something is missing. There are dissolving
ones that might give a quick fix if it is a missing element.
Jim

Old 27-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Astounded

The only other reasons for yellowing of green vegies (assuming watering is
in the normal range) would be incorrect ph - however I have grown silverbeet
in a wide variety of soil types, and I have only seen Fordhook giant leaves
yellow after no water in the middle of summer. I have had Diggers Club seeds
that were incorrect in the packet. Is there enough nitrogen in the soil?

Old 28-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Ivan McDonagh

"Astounded" wrote in
:

The only other reasons for yellowing of green vegies (assuming
watering is in the normal range) would be incorrect ph - however I
have grown silverbeet in a wide variety of soil types, and I have only
seen Fordhook giant leaves yellow after no water in the middle of
summer. I have had Diggers Club seeds that were incorrect in the
packet. Is there enough nitrogen in the soil?

Regards
Phil J.

Plenty of water and, gauging by the green on every other plant I'm guessing
there's plenty of nitrogen around. It's because every other plant is doing
quite well and "behaving normally" that I'm puzzled.

Oh well ... I guess I'll just have to see what happens

Ivan.
Old 28-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Ivan McDonagh

"SG1" wrote in
:

Try trace elements. Sounds like something is missing. There are
dissolving ones that might give a quick fix if it is a missing
element. Jim

Thanks Jim, that's probably worth looking at although, as I said in my
other reply, that every other plant is doing well is causing me to doubt
that it's trace elements.

*SHRUGS*

Can't have everything

Ivan.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:14 AM
SG1

I have some beautiful red silverbeet, let it go to seed one year and did not
have to plant this seaon. Actually came up next to the beds, transplants
well.
Jim

Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 AM
Ivan McDonagh

John Savage wrote in
om:

"Ivan McDonagh" wrote in message
7.67...
The stems are white and the packet says that these seeds are
Fordhook

Giant
which I believe is supposed to be a proper green colour

Any more ideas ?

This is very strange. I would go with the nitrogen: try adding plenty
of well-rotted manure around it. If the leaf is not green, I expect
its growth will be very stunted, too.

Thanks John - the growth seems quite reasonable to me but I will definitely
look into putting some nitrogen into the soil.

Ivan.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
John Savage

"Astounded" writes:
yellow after no water in the middle of summer. I have had Diggers Club seeds
that were incorrect in the packet. Is there enough nitrogen in the soil?

"Ivan McDonagh" wrote in message
.67...
The stems are white and the packet says that these seeds are Fordhook

Giant
which I believe is supposed to be a proper green colour

Any more ideas ?

This is very strange. I would go with the nitrogen: try adding plenty
of well-rotted manure around it. If the leaf is not green, I expect its
growth will be very stunted, too.

Yellow phal. leaves - Yellow Phal. (Small).JPG [01/01] Chris Savas Orchid Photos 4 10-12-2008 09:14 AM
Silverbeet get brown stems (Brisbane) Lionel van den Berg Australia 9 13-10-2007 12:50 AM
Silverbeet Steve[_7_] Australia 7 09-04-2007 01:17 AM
Red Silverbeet Snoopy Edible Gardening 3 04-09-2005 09:32 PM
Silverbeet Anna Merchant Edible Gardening 7 26-04-2003 06:32 PM